How to vacuum small Intex AGP

sapool

Aug 2, 2020
San Antonio
I have the 8x18x42” AGP. I have been having nightmares trying to figure out to vacuum. Small kids and lots of heat means little grass and lots of mud. I upgraded from the small cartridge filter to the 12” this season.
I have this vacuum tube:
This vacuum:

I have the intex side overhang skimmer.
I use and adaptor to connect to the skimmer hose after it’s filled with water.

I then plug the other inlet, turn the pump to waste and turn the pump back on.

the pollen and small Live Oak leaves quickly Jam up the screen on the inlet and everything stops.

there has got to be a better way.
today I tried rigging a valve plunger to my Type B connector to my adaptor and again it worked for a short while but then it quickly started drawing air into the tubes and the basket tank on the pump started filling with air.

what am I doing wrong? What is the magic?

I used the Intex Auto cleaner with my Intex. Connects to the return, not the inlet, and the debris goes to a chamber inside the cleaner, not the pump. It worked great, but I’m not sure with your small pool. What size is your return?

It might be a bit too weak for the cleaner.

I used to have one of those vacuums that you used with water hose - hated it!

One thing you can do to keep pool a lot cleaner is to lay down law with family - put a bin at base of ladder for people to dip their feet before they get in. Also, create a little deck area with pavers so they aren’t going straight from grass (or dirt) into pool.

I'm very late here, but for manual vacuuming (which I rarely do now that I have an Aquabot Rover Jr) it's very easy with a through-wall skimmer. I added a Hayward skimmer, comes with a vacuum hose adapter. When you vacuum the leaves and junk gets stuck in the skimmer basket. If you have a lot it eventually plugs but it holds quite a lot before that happens.

Since you’re vacuuming to waste anyway you could try siphon vacuuming.
Fill hose w/ water just like normal, hold your hand over the end, but instead of hooking it to the pump inlet/ skimmer just throw it over the side of the pool on to the ground. I used to use a large clip on the side of the pool to keep the hose in place.
Even in my big pool this is the only way I ever vac to waste.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.