How to Store Test Kit Equipment

MikeDub

Feb 22, 2021
Murrieta, CA
Pool Size
Hi there,
How do you guys store your test kit after use? I have the TF-100 but it's probably relevant to most kits. I know I should be rinsing each vial, speed stir cross, cya bottle etc out with tap water. But after that should I just let it air dry? If I'm testing daily does that mean the equipment just stays air drying all the time unless it's in use? Should I use a paper towel and hand dry each part? Can I just shake off excess water and store it in the kit? Is there something else I'm missing? Thanks in advance for your advice!

I store my kit in a cupboard. I rinse everything before putting it away. I dry off the SpeedStir pill (because I had one split and rust once), but that's it. I live in a dry climate, so things tend to dry off fast. I couldn't get away with that where I used to live near the ocean, but here things don't stay damp. If it's more humid where you're at, you might have to take better care. I'm sure it's better overall to dry everything thoroughly. I just don't...

Most of the time the big flat container sits under the sink in the cabana bath in AC space so it's cool and dry. I only use it every month or two for the CYA test. Other tests are only performed every 3 months. The more frequent tests like FC, pH, CC sit in a separate small plastic container that stays beside the sink to dry after rinsing. I rinse everything every time in tap water, shake it out well and let it dry. We swim a lot year-round. I usually test when we're in the pool. Just bring the small container to the edge and do it there. Sometimes I get sloppy and leave the small container on a table in the patio. If I do that a lot especially if it rains the powder can get a little clumpy so I don't do this often.

I hope this helps.

Chris

Reactions: Mdragger88
Much the same although I never leave it out; I put it back strait away. I rinse it all off and put the test comparator, test cylinder with speedstir pill, both capped, back and dried on the outside but still damp inside. Ive always stored mine in my laundry with the coolest and most constant temperature. I use a salt meter, the prob and the inside of the cap get rinsed in tap water. Its then caped while still damp or wet and stored with the other test kits.

I've started saving silica packets and have several in the box which helps with any leftover moisture once I close the box and put it away.
That's a great idea! I just throw those out. Now I'm going to toss them into my kit! Thx!!

Reactions: thefloatqueen
Hi there,
How do you guys store your test kit after use? I have the TF-100 but it's probably relevant to most kits. I know I should be rinsing each vial, speed stir cross, cya bottle etc out with tap water. But after that should I just let it air dry? If I'm testing daily does that mean the equipment just stays air drying all the time unless it's in use? Should I use a paper towel and hand dry each part? Can I just shake off excess water and store it in the kit? Is there something else I'm missing? Thanks in advance for your advice!
I rinse with hot tap water, use a paper towel and let the rest air dry. I store everything inside my plastic container that comes with the kit and put it in a cabinet along with my testing bottle and Speed Stir. 😬

I rinse with tap water and air dry for an hour or so. I've started saving silica packets and have several in the box which helps with any leftover moisture once I close the box and put it away.
This 👆🏻 But I just shake dry & sometimes wipe w/ microfiber (all my rags/ towels are microfiber) & keep the silica packets in the compartment w/ my powder. Just scored 2 more yesterday 😁 also i keep it in my laundry area in the pool cubby

Reactions: ArsenalFan
Well this really two questions, how do I rinse my vials and how do I store my chems...

-I rinse my vials out with tap water and let them air dry.. if I really wanted get picky I would rinse them with distilled water. I've never used soap on them. I don't think any of the tests leave a residue that would require that.

-The test kit and chemicals get stored in the most environmentally stable place I have.. with my wine. The reagents are sensitive to swings in temperature. I got another little plastic tool box that is black to block the light, and I keep silica gel packs in it to absorb any moisture. It fits perfectly in a slot for magnum size bottles. I have collected enough vials so I can dedicate one to each test, which makes my test setup pretty modular. So for example when I need to use the K1000 tests (pH/FC), I just grab that set, let it dry and throw it back in the case. If I want to run multiple tests or the whole panel, I grab the whole case.

-When I'm done it goes back into the wine rack.. and I celebrate a job well done with a glass of cheap Merlot 🍷

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have a dedicated cabinet for my pool chemicals and gear over the laundry. Rinse with tap water and wipe w/ microfiber cloth including my favorite toy the speed stir. I throw moisture munchers in the box and load it all back in the cabinet.

I don’t think the refrigerator is the best place to keep a test kit, it’s taking up valuable real estate in the fridge that could be used to store adult beverages. :cheers:

Transition of temperature from fridge to room temperature testing can cause premature reagent deterioration.
It says “cool dark” not ‘cold dark’.

I think he means on top of the fridge, not inside of it.

I have a drawer in kitchen that is dedicated to test kit. I put the whole TF-100 box inside, and the tap water rinsed vials go on a tea towel to air dry inside the drawer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.