How to sink AGP and build deck in 30 days

Working on a wood surround and pool deck in your swim shorts then jumping in the pool to cool down as needed. Good planning.

You will have to calculate how many posts you will need to secure straight boards around a round pool. Any early drawings on your construction plan yet?
I have a rough drawing, however, the wife keeps making changes to how she wants it to look. She wants a coping over the top bar then she dosen't. Coping over the top adds more to the design then not having one. Since the main deck is going to be ground level it's real easy without coping. With coping the main deck is still easy however I have to redesign how the 4x4 joists are set in place. Basically, adding coping on top adds a ton more lumber, work, time and cost to the project. Once I get a final from her I will be able to draw up better plans and materials list to post for your enjoyment hahaha.

I have been absent for a few days but I have been working. Yesterday I spent all day doing the plumbing. It took me so long because my wife kept having me do other things around the house. Yeah it got annoying because it got pretty hot again lol.
Well today I started the backfill process. There is actually black 2mil plastic separating the pool wall and the dirt. However, I did not bring it up high enough. I will not make that mistake tomorrow as I continue.

Attachments

• 20190429_154252.jpg
    20190429_154252.jpg
    896.2 KB · Views: 97
kimkats yeah..yeah..yeah...that's what women say ..."I have such a good husband" then they turn around and ask for more. Case in point: Wife comes home today and says she wants the deck 5ft wider and about 8ft more depth on one side of the pool. Oh yeah it's the side that has a mountain of dirt and is stupidly unlevel right now.
Just 2 days ago she signed off on the design and layout only to treat her "good husband" like a paid contractor and change things. She cared less that I shoveled 3 yards of dirt today hahaha. We DIY men are always glutton for punishment.

On a side note: After 2 days of sitting I had 1 leg drop 1/2 inch grrrr. So now my pool has a deep end hahahaha. It's not noticeable but to me it is.

Reactions: badams
Poor, poor hubby!! I so hear you............there is always something else to do. She wanting the deck bigger may be because she is like me............has a hard time knowing what it will be like until I see it in real life. A picture/drawing with numbers is NOT the same thing as seeing it in real life. A explanation not an excuse though LOL

Here is hoping she treats you are well as you treat her!

GURRRRRRRRRRRRr on the settling!!! NO!!!!!!! After all of your hard work!!

Kim:kim:

Reactions: GJones
Kimkats: I am okay with the 1/2 settling since I am not putting a coping on the top??.

Oly: Yeah it is a little cooler but when your manually moving yards and yards of dirt 80's in the direct sunlight feels like a 100 degrees hahaha. heck I never noticed Oly was 45 minutes North of me hahaha.

Well here are some pics of the progress. The 1st one is how the gopher screen gets laid down. I left a 1 to 2 inch gap from the pool side and the screen. Don't want the screen moving and puncturing the pool. The 2nd picture is a little over a 1/4 of the pool backfilled with the screen laid down and buried. It will settle by tomorrow and I will have to add more dirt which is fine I got enough of it right now hahahaha. I also installed 3" wide reclaimed cedar fence pickets on each leg that is backfilled. Buried them right up against the pool legs1.5' in the ground. These are what I will be attaching the surround boards to.

Attachments

• 20190430_102221.jpg
    20190430_102221.jpg
    634.6 KB · Views: 102
  • 20190430_112613.jpg
    20190430_112613.jpg
    596.6 KB · Views: 102
Reactions: Joanie2100

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks Kim I try lol.

Well I got rid of all the small piles of dirt now and have started in on the big pile. When I excavated I tried my hardest to keep any sod separate from the nice clean dirt but alas I still am having to sift the dirt. That is adding time. On a positive note, half the area of the pool is backfilled ????

I have to have this all done before May 25th. My daughters birthday party is that day and she wants it to be a swim party lol. No pressure ?????.

Not feeling good today. Stomach is in knots but still pressed on. The pool surround started going up today. My son is finishing the backfill as I type.

The pool surround is 1"x 6" x 4" brown stained (looks red) pressure treated pine. Attached to the 1/2 inch cedar fence pickets with 1-1/2" deck screws. The cover is 16" long attached with 1-5/8" deck screws. Pretty easy but I did have to search through 62 1x6x4xs just to find the best 28 of them. I fussed at Home Depot for putting severely twisted boards out to sell. A bow is one thing but over 1" twist in the board is unacceptable. Rant over hahaha. Anyway I will be back at it tomorrow hopefully feeling better than today.

Attachments

• IMG_20190501_100852_01.jpg
    IMG_20190501_100852_01.jpg
    610.5 KB · Views: 100
  • 20190501_142637.jpg
    20190501_142637.jpg
    499.2 KB · Views: 101
  • Love
Reactions: Joanie2100
28 out of 63??? UNREAL!!! Glad you found any that were good!

Your tummy too? It is going around here in FL as well. I have been washing my hands like a mad person!!!

That surround looks AWESOME!!! That finishes it out well!

Kim:kim:

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.