How to Schedule Different Pump Speeds via New Circuit/Feature (Pentair ScreenLogic)

jkozlow3

Apr 1, 2021
San Diego
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hi Everyone!

I'm new here and found this forum from a Google search. I have a question about setting up a new feature/circuit which is a clone of an existing feature/circuit but with a different pump speed. I'm using Pentair ScreenLogic/SLConfig.

There is a circuit in our ScreenLogic config named "Spa Waterfall" and it is associated with "Feature 1" and circuit function "Spillway".

When this circuit runs, it turns a valve to return 100% of the water to the spa and creates a nice backyard ambiance with the waterfall effect. I'm currently running this circuit on top of the pool schedule at a slightly higher rpm vs. the pool circuit so that I get a better waterfall effect (even at the same RPMs as the pool circuit). I run this from 8a-8p daily. I don't see any drawback to using this circuit and returning 100% of the water to the spa vs. the pool circuit but I'm all ears if you can think of any!

Anyway, my desire is to clone the "Spa Waterfall" circuit and set up a new circuit (i.e. Waterfall Low) at a slightly lower RPM and then schedule this circuit to run starting @ 4pm when the electricity rates DOUBLE in the summer time here in San Diego. I'd still like to enjoy the waterfall ambiance in the late afternoon and evening hours but at a lower cost.

So my issue is, I created a new circuit named "waterfall low" and associated it with "feature 2" and the "spillway" circuit function - just like the "spa waterfall" circuit associated with "feature 1". HOWEVER, when I use this new circuit, it doesn't turn the valve to direct 100% of the water back to the spa. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

Last edited:
J,

The spillway is a special function and it appears that it can only be used once..

I would change the function of the original Spa waterfall to generic (Just as a test) and then see if your new waterfall low works.. If it does, it confirms my suspicions.

I suspect it is the system and not you..

Please let us know what you find.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: jkozlow3
Thanks Jim!

Your suspicions were correct - it appears spillway can only be used by one circuit/feature for whatever reason. I tried it this morning and it worked exactly as you guessed it would.

That said, I think I found a suitable solution. I deleted the new "waterfall low" circuit/feature.

Then I programmed "pool" to run @ 2200 rpm and "spa waterfall" to run @ 1800 rpm.

If I set a schedule that looks like this, I believe it will achieve my goal of running at lower RPMs after 4pm when the electricity rates double:

Pool 8a-4p (@ 2200 rpm)
Cleaner 8a-10a (@ 2800 rpm)
Spa Waterfall 10a-8p (@ 1800 rpm)

So for the first 2 hours of the day starting @ 8am, water is returned to the pool at higher RPMs (2800) for the suction cleaner.

Then @ 10am the RPMs drop to 2200 and the valve turns to return 100% of the water to the spa. This is because the "pool" and "spa waterfall" schedules are both running. I believe the system will take the action of turning the valve to return all water to the spa while simultaneously respecting the higher rpms of the pool schedule (this is based on a quick manual test I did this morning).

Then at 4pm when the electricity rates double, the rpms drop because the pool schedule shuts off and only the spa waterfall schedule is still active.

Sound logical?

Also, I'm open to any suggestions you may have regarding speeds, settings, etc. I'm new to pool ownership after having purchased this home a couple of months ago and we just got a brand new variable speed pump installed so that we could enjoy the waterfall ambiance all day without using 2000 watts of electricity! Of course we want to achieve proper cleaning/filtering/skimming as well.

Thanks!

Last edited:
J,

Yes, if two or more circuits are on at the same time, then the pump will always run the fastest speed..

Should work..

The only issue I see is that if you have a SWCG, it will shut off when the Pool circuit shuts off.

Also, keep in mind that constant aeration from the spillover will drive your pH up.

And, with all the return water going to your spa, your normal pools returns will not be working.. In most pools the returns cause the water to rotate like a giant slow-moving flushing toilet bowl.. This helps drag stuff past the skimmers... Your pool may not have that issue, just something to watch.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks Jim.

Even without using the “spillway” circuit the spa still spills over to the pool. It just gets MORE spillover when the circuit turns the valve to return 100% of the water to the spa. This allows me to use lower rpms to achieve the same desired waterfall effect and saves on cost.

We are planning on adding a SWCG in the next month or so. As long as the “pool” circuit runs from 8a-4p each day, this should be sufficient for the SWCG, correct? Even with the “spa waterfall” feature running at the same time and returning all water to the spa?

Then after 4p the “pool” circuit will shut off and it will only be running the spa waterfall feature at a lower rpm. This is primarily for backyard ambiance with a secondary benefit of moving/filtering some water.

j,

Just make sure any SWCG you buy is at least 2 X the volume of your pool..

I assume you want it to integrate into ScreenLogic, which means an IntelliChlor IC40, or 60.. I do not recommend the iChlor 30...

Without knowing your pool volume and the specific SWCG, no one can tell you how long you will need to run it to generate the amount of chlorine your pool will need.

Do us all a favor and add your Pool's Signature so we don't have to ask so many questions.. Look at the bottom of my posts for an example.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.