How To Remove Sequestered Metal From Pool

Engraver1

Oct 13, 2019
UK
A couple of years ago my indoor liner pool developed brown staining at the deep end, I bought commercial pool stain remover, it removed the stain but it came back after a few days throughout the whole pool and including the steps etc, I tried this a few times and also by adding products to keep the stain returning to the liner, these worked for a while but didn't stop the stain returning.

I have tried a different method, now I must say that I'm not a pool expert but the method below has worked for me and it's now three weeks and there's no trace of a stain :D

So, this is what I did:-

I turn my pool off in October so the water was cold, but I see no reason why it wouldn't work with warm water.

The chlorine was 0 this is important because apparently it can stop AA from working, everything else was as normal.

I bought some Ascorbic Acid Vitamin C Powder 1kg - British Pharmaceutical Grade - 100% Pure: Amazon.co.uk: Health & Personal Care and with the filter set to circulation added about half a pound, after a few hours check the stain as more may be needed until it's totally gone, best to leave overnight instead of adding too much from the start.

Once the stain has gone I switched the filter back to filtrate, I bought 3KG of hollow fibre polyester pillow stuffing, my skimmer has a basket, if yours hasn't then it's a good idea to get a cloth bag to put the fibres in, these are added to the skimmer and pushed down inside and just below the water line so it's possible to see that the water is still swirling and the fibres are not stopping the flow.

I changed the fibre every day until it was all used up, it's possible to re-use it by washing it out with clean warm water and then giving it a spin and a tumble dry, but don't put it in the washer as it will end up in clumps.

After a week, because the ph is usually lowered with AA, I raised it but very slowly, in my case, half a cup of ph raiser granules a day, I also raised the chlorine slowly.

It's now three weeks since I started, this morning I vacuumed the pool because there was some green algea buildup, but it's looking good and there's still no sign of a stain and the steps are "white".

From now on, periodically, for a week or so, I'm going to add fibre to the skimmer, just to keep things at bay, if it can filter metal then it should also filter small particles in the water.

I hope this helps, if I've forgotten anything please let me know.

EDIT:- It's now been nearly five weeks and there's no trace of a stain on the liner so I would say that this method works :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you ever tested your fill water? It’s likely the source of the dissolved iron. If you’re filling with a hose from a spigot, you may want to see if you can get a hose-end filter capable of removing iron OR find a manually regenerated RV filter as those can sometimes be used to remove iron. Using a maintenance dose of a good quality sequestrant can help if it’s not too expensive. You will get phosphate buildup from sequestrant use and that can impact algae growth.

Have you ever tested your fill water? It’s likely the source of the dissolved iron. If you’re filling with a hose from a spigot, you may want to see if you can get a hose-end filter capable of removing iron OR find a manually regenerated RV filter as those can sometimes be used to remove iron. Using a maintenance dose of a good quality sequestrant can help if it’s not too expensive. You will get phosphate buildup from sequestrant use and that can impact algae growth.

I have had the pool for twenty years without any metal problems until a couple of years ago, the point of my post is to show that sequestered metal "can" be removed from the water without the need for any other chemicals i.e. Sequestrant which just suspend the metal........for ever !!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.