How to remove pool cement on filter

That looks like primer for PVC glue. I do not think there is a way to remove it. The sun will eventually bleach it to a lighter color but it will always be there. You can paint over it if it bothers you that much. Why do you want to remove it?

Lightly sand it. A lighter shade of the same color will look a bazillion times better than purple. Then that will eventually fade becoming less noticeable.

Just went down a google rabbit hole, thanks. :ROFLMAO:

So the only thing that works is clear pvc primer. However, it only works because it melts the pvc/plastic just like the purple kind, but will also take the purple color with it. The instructions are to dab lightly with damp cotton ball/swab being careful not to melt anything. Too risky IMO on a pressurized filter.

Mineral spirits and Paint thinner 'might see some success' with alot of elbow grease, but they are harmless to the pvc/plastic, and a much better option.

Sanding and grinding are the usual fixes as you can just stop and it won't keep going like clear primer might.

So try the paint thinner with a coarse sponge and if theres no success, i'd sand it. If it still bothers you after sanding, you can spray paint all of the plastic/pvc. That will likely fade in your CA uv and need semi annual resprays though, becoming it's own can of worms.

Good luck and keep us posted !!

Just went down a google rabbit hole, thanks. :ROFLMAO:

So the only thing that works is clear pvc primer. However, it only works because it melts the pvc/plastic just like the purple kind, but will also take the purple color with it. The instructions are to dab lightly with damp cotton ball/swab being careful not to melt anything. Too risky IMO on a pressurized filter.

Mineral spirits and Paint thinner 'might see some success' with alot of elbow grease, but they are harmless to the pvc/plastic, and a much better option.

Sanding and grinding are the usual fixes as you can just stop and it won't keep going like clear primer might.

So try the paint thinner with a coarse sponge and if theres no success, i'd sand it. If it still bothers you after sanding, you can spray paint all of the plastic/pvc. That will likely fade in your CA uv and need semi annual resprays though, becoming it's own can of worms.

Good luck and keep us posted !!
Thank you for looking into this for me and for such a detailed response. I'll try it!

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.