Agoura Hills, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I've done a poor job of maintaining my TA properly until recently (and my PH got high for a bit). Perhaps as a result, I'm seeing some serious scaling and salt cell waste (photos attached).
1) What's the best way to remove scaling? Something like Leslie's scale and stain remover (Leslie's product)
2) Do you think the scaling was caused by my TA or something else?

Other advice? I use Lamotte ColorQ to test my chemicals.

Thanks,
Ryan

Attachments

• IMG-4656.JPG
    IMG-4656.JPG
    546.6 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG-4655.JPG
    IMG-4655.JPG
    601.4 KB · Views: 60
Managing CSI (Calcium Saturation Index (CSI) - Trouble Free Pool) is how you prevent and then work to remove scale on a pool surface. It is also how you keep your SWCG scale free.

Your shared Poolmath logs show that you are keeping a negative CSI recently. To remove the scale, it should be kept between -0.6 and -0.3. Once you are satisfied in the scale removal, keep the CSI between -0.3 and 0.0.

The issue with the Lamotte test kit is it is known to provide inaccurate CH test results. Your current CH of ~150 would seem to be very low for your area. What is your fill water CH?

I would encourage you to get one of the drop based titration kits (K2006C or TF100) to manage your pool water chemistry.

Managing CSI (Calcium Saturation Index (CSI) - Trouble Free Pool) is how you prevent and then work to remove scale on a pool surface. It is also how you keep your SWCG scale free.

Your shared Poolmath logs show that you are keeping a negative CSI recently. To remove the scale, it should be kept between -0.6 and -0.3. Once you are satisfied in the scale removal, keep the CSI between -0.3 and 0.0.

The issue with the Lamotte test kit is it is known to provide inaccurate CH test results. Your current CH of ~150 would seem to be very low for your area. What is your fill water CH?

I would encourage you to get one of the drop based titration kits (K2006C or TF100) to manage your pool water chemistry.

Thanks! So, I'll get a new test kit and get my CSI in check.
1) Should I start with the calcium hardness issues?
2) I fill my water with local tap water, which tends to be quite hard. Would you expect CH to be high or low with hard water?

Ryan

CH will be high with hard water.

Unless you have a water softener to run your pool make up water through, you deal with the hard water. Our fill water is 250 ppm CH. I manage my CSI until the CH gets to 800+ppm, then I do a full water exchange. You most likely have less evaporation than I do and should work on ways to harvest rain water when it does rain.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.