How to prepare pool while I am gone for two weeks

With a closed cover and a SWG you should leave it as is and enjoy your vacation. Let everything running normally.

I was wondering the same thing for my upcoming 10-day vacation. I want to keep things as simple as possible, so I thought I would raise the FC to 31 and leave everything off. I already have 5 gallons of 12.5% on hand. Assuming a 2ppm loss per day, I’m hoping it should be fine, even without a cover. My CYA is around 70. I‘ve never tried putting the cover on myself, and I’d rather not deal with the hassle.

I was also going to ask my neighbor to empty the skimmer basket every day or every other day. If they can do it, then I would run everything as normal.

Unfortunately, my plumping doesn’t seem to allow bypassing the skimmer and only using the main drain. That would seem to be the best solution, right? Any idea how much it would cost to update the piping for that? Is it worth it?

Unfortunately, my plumping doesn’t seem to allow bypassing the skimmer and only using the main drain. That would seem to be the best solution, right? Any idea how much it would cost to update the piping for that? Is it worth it?

If you don't have seprate skommer and main drain pipes running to your equipment pad it cannot be done at a reasonable cost.

Update: on a Friday night, I poured 5 gallons of 12.5% chlorine and let the pump run all night. I didn't measure FC on Saturday morning, but based on Pool Math, I'm guessing it was around 29-31. I turned off the pump on Saturday morning before leaving and did not cover the pool.

On Monday afternoon 9 days later, the FC was down to 1.5 and the pool had a greenish tint to it. I turned on the pump and set the SWCG to MAX for about 4 hours, then 80% overnight. By the morning, it was close to its normal color. I then turned on the Polaris to grab all the leaves, and turned down the SWCG to 70% for the rest of the day until 6pm. Around 9pm, I measured the FC at 4.5, and this morning around 7am, it was still at 4.5.

I was ready to go get 10 gallons of chlorine in case I needed to SLAM, but it looks like I don't need to. Overall, I'm pleased with this experiment.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.