??? How to Plumb in a new Pentair diverter valve housing...

mose

LifeTime Supporter
May 17, 2012
Dallas, Texas
Hey Guy's,

I recently tried to change the "divert-er valve" inside a PVC "Pentair Check Valve housing" only to find that several screws were stripped inside the housing. So, now I need to replace the PVC Pentair Check Valve housing.

As I see it, the problem becomes how to remove the old housing as it was installed up against an elbow. In fact that elbow is attached directly up against two "Pentair Check Valve housings". Each housing cost about $45, Ouch!

Maybe someone here has run into this situation before and can give me some tips. Preferably, as low cost as possible. I have already purchased a new Pentair Check Valve housing.

Thanks in advance,
Mose

Attachments

• Pool Plumbing-002.jpg
    Pool Plumbing-002.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 53
Mose,

Not sure I can help with the replacement, but I've had pretty good luck repairing stripped screw holes with two-part epoxy..

Fill the hole with epoxy... Coat the screw with pool-lube and thread the screw into position. Let the epoxy dry for just a few minutes and then unthread the screw.

Let the epoxy overnight and then see if the screw will tighten.

My thought is that it can't hurt anything to try, as you are going to have to replace the whole thing at this point anyway..

If the housing that you show in the pic is water tight, then you could just leave the guts out and add the new check valve below the original one.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Thanks Jim,

That will work for a short period, but for home resale purposes in the future I'm wondering "What would the pool guy do to fix this?"

I know if I called the pool service guy he would carry some special fittings on his truck. Once, He plumbed in a new pool motor that I bought several years back. I would have done it myself if I knew where to get the PVC fittings he used. He used a PVC fitting that fit right over a 2-1/2" coupling. I was wondering if there were any special trick fittings that could be used in this situation.....

I am clueless :(

Does anyone have an example pic of properly plumb valves, just so I will have an idea of what I need to accomplish....? I assume that means the valves are not attached directly to the fittings, but I dun no.

It is important to use schedule 40 PVC fittings. I buy mine at Lowe's. They are on the same aisle as the DWV fittings. It is important not to use DWV fittings as they are not designed to be operated under pressure. You will have to cut the elbows out to get down to straight pipe and start over with new elbows.

Do you know why there are check valves on every line? Is the equipment pad higher than the pool? You might want to replace those too while you're at it. A Jandy style check valve is better than those that are installed because the check valves can be replaced without replumbing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.