How to perform firmware upgrade on Pentair* controllers

I will check if that's the case probably this weekend.

I might take you on your offer if it doesn't work. In fact, I got to get a new board because the Valve portion in the current one is not getting power any longer. Where are you at? I sent you a PM last Friday, I will send you another one now.

Thanks

What board do you have ?

When a bat file runs, it opens a command prompt window, which shows what is happening. Sometimes there is an error and we can not determine at which step the bat file is creating the error and we cannot also read the error message before the Command Prompt window closes.

To solve this situation, we edit the bat file by add the command "Pause" which will stop the execution of the file, until you "Press any key to continue ..."

This is an example;

IF EXIST "C:\Program Files\PEMicro\PROG12Z" goto WINXP
IF EXIST "C:\Program Files (x86)\PEMicro\PROG12Z" goto WIN7

:OLD
path = c:\pemicro\prog12z
cd \pemicro\prog12z
CPROG12Z ? 1 IO_DELAY_CNT 12 C:\pemicro\pkg12z\cfg\OLD_EZTUOC2.CFG FREQ 8000000 Interface=USBMultilink PORT=USB1
pause
goto DONE

:WIN7
path = C:\Program Files (x86)\PEMicro\PROG12Z
cd \Program Files (x86)\PEMicro\PROG12Z
CPROG12Z ? 1 IO_DELAY_CNT 12 C:\pemicro\pkg12z\cfg\WIN7_EZTUOC2.CFG FREQ 8000000 Interface=USBMultilink PORT=USB1
pause
goto DONE

:WINXP
path = C:\Program Files\PEMicro\PROG12Z
cd \Program Files\PEMicro\PROG12Z
CPROG12Z ? 1 IO_DELAY_CNT 12 C:\pemicro\pkg12z\cfg\WINXP_EZTUOC2.CFG 8000000 Interface=USBMultilink PORT=USB1

Pause
DONE
____________________________________________________________ ____________________________________

____________________________________________________________ __________________________________

RE
CM C:\pemicro\prog12z\Algorithms\Freescale_9S12DT128_1x16x64k_1 28k_Linear_16k_page.12P
pause
EM
BM
SS C:\pemicro\pkg12z\s19\EasyTouch_Outdoor_2140.s19
pause
PM
VM
RE
QU

In the last example if there is an error locating the file, EasyTouch_Outdoor_2.140.s19

at the next step "pause" you will be able to read the error. Something like "Invalid path" or "File not found"

Special thanks to Ggilpu for discovering a software compatibility issue.

The currently available version B & C programmers (USBMULTILINK) require a later version of the Prog12z_install.exe software, which is $169.00 from P&E website

UPDATE - It appears the issue is drivers, early Prog12Z v1.62 requires windows XP and a rev A programmer.

I was able to update my Intellitouch to version 1.170 last month. I found a rev C programmer but the progz software was from 2008 or so. Version 1.88.00.00. I tried to use my Win7 64-bit PC to do the update. The drivers on the progz CD were out of date and incompatible with my Win7. I went to the PE website to get the latest drivers. those installed fine and I got all the LEDs on my programmer to light up. Sadly, the old prog12z didn't know how to use the new drivers so I got the error 45 which meant that it could not find to programmer. The updated drivers were a waste. My only solution was to make a windows XP virtual machine on my laptop which is a feature of Win7 Ultimate. I then passed the USB port thru to the XP virtual machine and the CD drive as well so that I could install prog12z on the VM. Once I did that I was able to use the VM to do the firmware update to my panel by using the supplied .BAT file from the Pentair update. It was a lot of work but I wanted to post it here so that others don't waste as much time as I on the update.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I was able to update my Intellitouch to version 1.170 last month. I found a rev C programmer but the progz software was from 2008 or so. Version 1.88.00.00. I tried to use my Win7 64-bit PC to do the update. The drivers on the progz CD were out of date and incompatible with my Win7. I went to the PE website to get the latest drivers. those installed fine and I got all the LEDs on my programmer to light up. Sadly, the old prog12z didn't know how to use the new drivers so I got the error 45 which meant that it could not find to programmer. The updated drivers were a waste. My only solution was to make a windows XP virtual machine on my laptop which is a feature of Win7 Ultimate. I then passed the USB port thru to the XP virtual machine and the CD drive as well so that I could install prog12z on the VM. Once I did that I was able to use the VM to do the firmware update to my panel by using the supplied .BAT file from the Pentair update. It was a lot of work but I wanted to post it here so that others don't waste as much time as I on the update.

Glad you were able to get the programming done.

Great Job !!

"So you were able to use the USBMULTILINK rev C programmer with the Prog12Z software version 1.88.00.00 in windows XP operating system, with success", Correct?

Awesome, thanks for sharing that... Ggilpu could have used that information 7 weeks ago...

Can you list the "Driver" version number in XP, which worked for you??

Can someone help clarify a few things.

Following tinyavian's link to PE Micro's website lands on a device called "USB BDM MULTILINK" and the part number is "USB-ML-12"
Based on more recent information, this is likely a newer version of the hardware referred to as Rev C and has compatibility issues with the old prog12z software available at the University of Adelaide site.

However, sizzlechest says he was able to get it to work with prog12z (v1.88.00.00) running under an XP virtual machine within win7 x64 ultimate.

My question is; Should I be able to use the REV C USB BDM MULTILINK with the even older prog12z (from the University of Adelaide site) under windows XP (actual WINXP not a virtual machine running under Win7)?

Can someone help clarify a few things.

Following tinyavian's link to PE Micro's website lands on a device called "USB BDM MULTILINK" and the part number is "USB-ML-12"
Based on more recent information, this is likely a newer version of the hardware referred to as Rev C and has compatibility issues with the old prog12z software available at the University of Adelaide site.

However, sizzlechest says he was able to get it to work with prog12z (v1.88.00.00) running under an XP virtual machine within win7 x64 ultimate.

My question is; Should I be able to use the REV C USB BDM MULTILINK with the even older prog12z (from the University of Adelaide site) under windows XP (actual WINXP not a virtual machine running under Win7)?

I never found a link to version 1.88.00.00, and have been unable to duplicate Sizzlechest's success with windows XP. I suggest you try a used Cyclone unit from ebay and PM me for additional information. Or send me your board for programming.

Here's a Progress update:
I installed the drivers from the pe micro website. I connected the USB Multilink. Windows successfully detected the device and it showed up in the device manager under Jungo Connectivity as "USB Multilink 2.0" and "WinDriver". The blue LED came on. I assume this means the driver and device work with WinXP.

Then I tried running "PROG12Z - 68HC12 Flash Programmer" from the start menu (not using a batch file). The program started but I got 2 warnings/errors.
1) In the notification area on the bottom right of the desk top I got this pop-up notice "Windows - Fatal Application Exit : WinDriver - This is an unregistered copy, available for a 30 day evaluation period. You have 30 days left."
2) A Window opened called "PROG - Connection Assistant". Under "Connection Port and Interface Type" it had the following:
Interface: "USB HCS08/HCS12 Multilink - USB Port" (this was selected from a pulldown menu)
Port: "Undetected. Disconnect/Connect USB Cable. Click Refresh List."

At this point I closed the program then ran it using one of the batch files and got "Error 45 During Script". "Could not contact P&E BDM Interface. Check Power and Connections"

I tried to edit the batch file to use the name of the interface as shown in the device manager "USB Multilink 2.0" instead of "USBMultilink". This resulted in "error 43 during script" - "Invalid Command Line Parameter"

The script editing may be the key but I'm not sure what to call the interface. Maybe I can find it in the registry.

One additional thing I discovered on the PE micro website related to this is FAQ ID # 83 which says:
USB-ML-12 Rev. B is a USB 2.0 device while USB-ML-12 Rev. A is a USB 1.1 device. You need the latest version of software to work with the Rev. B cables.
If you are using P&E's software development package or programmer, contact P&E for an update.
If you are using CodeWarrior 3.1, you need to download the USB2.0 patch on their website to support the USB-ML-12 Rev. B cables.
If you are using a CodeWarrior version prior to version 3.1, you need to contact Freescale for an update.

Can we use codewarrior with the USB ML 12 to run the firmware update scripts?

One additional thing I discovered on the PE micro website related to this is FAQ ID # 83 which says:
USB-ML-12 Rev. B is a USB 2.0 device while USB-ML-12 Rev. A is a USB 1.1 device. You need the latest version of software to work with the Rev. B cables.
If you are using P&E's software development package or programmer, contact P&E for an update.
If you are using CodeWarrior 3.1, you need to download the USB2.0 patch on their website to support the USB-ML-12 Rev. B cables.
If you are using a CodeWarrior version prior to version 3.1, you need to contact Freescale for an update.

Can we use codewarrior with the USB ML 12 to run the firmware update scripts?

You are not limited to P&E software, there are a number of programs which can use the Multilink USB. But they will not operate from Pentairs Scripts (.Bat file)

Until Prog12z can see the Multilink you will get nowhere with using the command line version of Prog12Z and the scripts (.bat)
It is possible that the reason the Multilink is not showing in Prog12z, is that the Multilink needs to be connected to the target (Board) with both led lite. (Receiving power and communication with the chip)
I have both revisions A and B Multilinks, to test why everyone is not able to connect.

Programmed my EasyTouch2 to 2.140 this morning, but I used a CyclonePro version C and Prog12Z_CyclonePro 2.00
No command line each step was manual.

OK I tested three different programmers on Windows XP and Windows 7 with Prog12Z version 1.62 using P&E Drivers 11.7.0 dated 3/11/2015

Windows XP
Rev A Multilink USB programmer works, had trouble getting the drivers to load, had both LED lights lite, had to uninstall (Physically select discard driver in device manager) and reinstall the drivers twice. Then it shows in device manager under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" as "P&E USB Device" Driver version 1.3.20.0 dated 7/29/2002. Jungo/Windriver 11.7.0.0 dated 10/26/2014 also loads, gives warning about 30 day software when Pro12Z connects. Programmer shows as USB HCS08/HCS12 in Prog12z, same as the program menu entry.

Windows XP
Rev B Multilink USB Programmer DOES NOT WORK, Loads in device manager as "USB Multilink 2.0" and Prog12Z v1.62 does not see it.

Windows XP
Cyclone Pro Rev C Programmer, works, Loads driver Cyclone/Traceink 11.7.0.0 dated 1/21/2015 under the header of Jungo in Device Manager. Prog12Z v1.62 connects with it as Cyconepro

Window 7
Neither of the Multilink USB programmers (rev A & B) worked with Prog12Z v1.62
With Prog12Z v5.25 rev B Multilink USB works fine. Rev A can not find proper driver.

Windows 7 (and windows 8)
Works with Prog12Z v5.25, provided you edit pentair's Batch file to call "Cyclonepro" instead of "USBMultilink" (See original post "Issues #2")
Cyclone Pro rev C Programmer, works manually with Prog12Z_CyclonePro 2.00.00
This is a link to Prog12Z_CyclonePro v5.13.02.00 (WORKS ONLY WITH Cyclone Pro Models) This is only good if you manually go thru the programming steps and have a Cyclone Pro model.
https://www.pemicro.com/downloads/download_file.cfm?download_id=291

How to manually program a Easytouch2 with a CyclonePro programmer using Prog12Z_CyclonePro v5.13.02.00

NOTE THESE STEPS ARE SPECIFIC TO THIS ONE BOARD (Other boards will use different algorithms, delays, and s19 firmware files)

IO_DELAY_CNT 12
FREQ auto

RE
CM C:\pemicro\cyclone_pro\agorithms\HC12_HCS12\Freescale_9S12DT128_1x16x64k_128k_Linear_16k_page.12P
EM
BM
SS C:\pemicro\pkg12z\s19\EasyTouch_Outdoor_2140.s19
PM
VM
RE
QU

Print out the above
Open Prog12Z_Cyclonepro
In CONNECTION ASSISTANT window

Set deay to 12
Leave frq set at auto
De-select send power to target
Press CONNECT

It will ask for the location of the algorithm file (Freescale_9S12DT128_1x16x64k_128k_Linear_16k_page.12P in this case) first thing, then the pick window will fill with the clickable commands.
In Pick Window (Top left window of Prog12Z_CyclonePro) Double click each of the commands in order. Watch in the bottom status window for each command to finish before proceeding to the next command.

RE
CM Asks again for algorithm; Freescale_9S12DT128_1x16x64k_128k_Linear_16k_page.12P
EM
BM
SS Asks for; C:\pemicro\pkg12z\s19\EasyTouch_Outdoor_2140.s19
PM
VM
RE
QU

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support