How to keep The Pool Cleaner hose from twisting

Rental Pool

Aug 7, 2015
Saugus, CA
The swivel on the head of The Pool Cleaner rotates easily, yet the hose continues to get twisted. This limits how much of the pool can be reached by the cleaner. What recommendations do you have to reduce this tendency? I'm thinking that maybe adjusting the floats on the hose by the head may be the answer, but I'm not sure what would be ideal.

Unfortunately, this is at a rental, and the tenants don't untwist the hose. I only get there once a week. There has to be a way to reduce this from happening.

I figured out a way to reduce its tendency to tie itself in knots. I weighted my leaf canister so it points down rather than floating on the surface. Floating on the surface also tends to introduce air into the system. The hard 90° turn on the hose from the port on the side of the pool tended to break the hoses. To fix this, I purchased a slip by threaded 1-1/2" PVC elbow. I pushed a short piece of the male end of a broken hose into the slip side, and the female end I forced into the threaded side. This works very well at reducing the hose's tendency to tie itself in knots, and it doesn't allow any air to enter the system. The threaded side of the elbow holds the female receptacle very snugly, so I don't have any fears the canister and hose will fall out of the elbow when the filter isn't running and providing suction. The male end has a short piece of hose attached, whereas I removed all the hose from the female end.

That sounds like a great idea, but where do you find these swivels? The swivels I see online leak air (reducing the vacuum) and don't fit the Poolvergnuegen hose segments. I think it would be challenging to design a swivel that floats on water that doesn't leak. A link to the working product would be appreciated.

polaris 280 owner here. same issue, different hose I believe. My hose has floats that can be adjusted up or down the hose line. I find that once the hose starts tangling, I can adjust the floats sometimes a bunch and sometimes just slightly, but it allows the hose to naturally change it's pivot points based on how it dips into the water in certain spots. Not sure if this would apply to the pool cleaner hose, but may be worth a try. Been solving my issue like that for years.

here you go.

How would I connect these between a 1-1/2" male and 1-1/2" female hose? These are the same on both sides and appear to be held on by clamps.
polaris 280 owner here. same issue, different hose I believe. My hose has floats that can be adjusted up or down the hose line. I find that once the hose starts tangling, I can adjust the floats sometimes a bunch and sometimes just slightly, but it allows the hose to naturally change it's pivot points based on how it dips into the water in certain spots. Not sure if this would apply to the pool cleaner hose, but may be worth a try. Been solving my issue like that for years.

The Pool Cleaner hose floats on the surface without floats, so I don't believe adding floats would solve my problem.

Reactions: jtpipkin
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.