How to increase water flow in spa overflow safely?

Fasttimes7

Aug 22, 2023
Miami
We just finished our pool about a month ago. It came out great, but I'm not too crazy about the "cascading" spa aspect. It's more just down the face of the tile than a "waterfall" effect we'd rather see.

Questions I have, is there a safe way to manipulate the water from the pump to add more water to the spa than going to the pool and thus cause a waterfall? Is it safe to turn the pool return off and only have the water return to the spa this increasing the water in the spa and more "waterfall"?

I just don't want to burst a waterline testing this theory out.
thumbnail_IMG_2819.jpg

You can increase the amount sent to the spa to 100% if you like. No issues.

Do realize that the constant running of that water fall will increase your pH quickly. Leading to very frequent needs for acid to be added to the pool. If you have automation, you are better off scheduling a spillway function to run a couple times a day for sanitation and then just use the spillover when you are present to enjoy it.

Reactions: InyoRich
+1 to what MKnauss said. If you have a saltwater pool (and a saltwater chlorine generator) note that it will not generate chlorine if there is no flow through it, so you will still want to run the water through it (and the regular pool outlets rather than the spa only) to sanitize the pool and, by default, the spa.

The design of the spillway limits what you can do..

If you wanted a waterfall, the spillway should have had an overhang or lip...

You might be able to get more flow by adjusting pump speed, and valve positions, but I doubt you will get anything that looks like a waterfall.

We need to see several pics of your equipment pad...

Thanks,

Jim R.

I was able to get the spillway to do a "waterfall" this evening by shutting the pool return off 90% and increasing the pump speed. It's not something I'll be doing all the time, just occasionally I guess. Wife likes the sound and look of the water falling.

Wish it had been designed like this from the beginning. It wasn't even discussed or brought to my attention.

Thanks all for the feedback.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.