How to get started maintaining a clean pool

keshiab2106

May 3, 2019
Palmdale, CA
I just moved into a house with a pool. They haven’t drained the water in 12 years so I had it drained and acid wash. I now have fresh water and I want to save some money and try to clean the pool myself.

What brush should I get for a plaster pool?

Is there anything else I need besides things related to chemicals?

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Welcome to the forum!
First thing is a good test kit. See Test Kits Compared. I suggest the TF-100 Test Kit ™
A nylon brush is great. I have a The Wall Whale Brush 18 " Nylon and https://tftestkits.net/Supreme-large-mouth-leaf-rake-14-inches-p99.html; they both work great.
I also have a robot. It is an investment (~$700) but it will keep your pool very clean. Check out the Pool Cleaners forum.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

duraleigh

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Apr 1, 2007
Sebring, Florida
Welcome to the forum:wave:

First and foremost, you need to get some chlorine in the pool. Do you have a plan for doing that?

Please read "The "ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School

Yes, you will need a skimmer net but not nearly as badly as you need chlorine.

Reactions: keshiab2106

duraleigh

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Apr 1, 2007
Sebring, Florida
That chlorine will quickly be consumed. Tell us the size of your pool and we'll tell you how much more chlorine you need.

duraleigh

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Apr 1, 2007
Sebring, Florida
A pool with those measurements would be about 20,000. If those dimesions are correct, you need to dose 1 large jug of bleach each day until your kit gets in.

Then, run the tests and post the results.. The TF-100 has everything you need for a complete water test.