How to get Calcium Chloride cheaper in warm weather areas

Re: How to get Calcium Chloride cheaper in warm weather area

I'm in Sacto as well. There are two chemical supply companies showing CaCl and/or CYA
Fennimore Chemicals 2740 Fulton 486-4082 (CYA, could not find CaCl - but they are not online.
Sierra Chemicals 788 Northport Drive W (behind that mega shopping center off the Reed Ave exit of I80 W) 371-5943. Their site shows Tetraflake 50$ for either 39.00 or 49.00 (I don't know why they have 2 pages for the same product name. They also list CYA (both show something called "Azure CYA" at $8.62 for 100#. I suspect the price does not include all 100 pounds.

My health today kept me in bed for the entire business day, so I did not contact either, but thought I'd post this for those about to close down with the water eating your calcium.

Q: is 70-80% purity (this is intended for ice melting, not pharmaceuticals) adequate and/or safe for pools?

Re: How to get Calcium Chloride cheaper in warm weather area

Boy, I wish I could give someone some of my calcium. My pool has a CH level near 1000.

New information for an old thread.

I found Prestone Driveway Heat at Autozone for cheap after looking at Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart and Ace. If one of those places did carry a de-icing product, it contained stuff other than pure calcium chloride.

Office Depot sells 9 pound containers of Morton Salt Safe-T-Power which is stated to be 100% Calcium Chloride for $7.99 each. They advertise free shipping on orders of $50 or more, so if you need a good quantity, 6 containers (54 lbs) and a package of Sharpies would get free shipping. Here's a link:

http://www.officedepot.com/a/produc...18-online-VQ19-1882504-VQ20-78296535476-VQ21-

Edit: They say "out of stock" but it may be worth a call.

I went through all of this recently with a few partial drains to down my 300+ CYA levels.

My tap water has perfect ph and ta for swimming pools but zero calcium.

I thought I had read that using de-icer products and anything beyond hardness up could
be bad for the pool with other stuff in it.

Is this True or False?

I ended up getting 2, 15 lb buckets of Hardness UP at the local pool store who's prices seem very
reasonable at $ 23 per bucket. They charge $ 14.00 each for ph up, same size.

...I thought I had read that using de-icer products and anything beyond hardness up could
be bad for the pool with other stuff in it.

Is this True or False?...

I can't answer your question from any chemistry knowledge but I do know deicer products have compositions that vary quite a lot. I think most standard variations are harmless however I'd check the composition as listed in it's MSDS sheet. If you look up the MSDS for Bioguard Balance Pal 300 (a common pool store hardness increaser), you'll see that in addition to Calcium Chloride, it also can contain Sodium Chloride, Potassium Chloride and Strontium Chloride. So long as the deicer someone choses is similar or better purity to what Biogard's is, I'm guessing there shouldn't be any problem.

Although there may be a shred of truth in what you read, for example if someone were to use a deicer product that had no Calcium Chloride content at all, any danger to the pool is probably grossly exaggerated to scare people into buying high priced pool store chemicals.

Currently you can find 50 pounds for $24 with free shipping and no sales tax to Florida on Amazon (4-8 day delivery, not Prime). It was slightly less from another vendor with a slower ship time. The same brand and size was $30 at Tractor Supply. Home Depot and Lowes sites say they won't ship it here.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.