Thomasville, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Solaxx (Saltron) Reliant / Purechlor R4
We put a new liner in our pool 2 years ago so I don't want to do that, but we only have about 8 inches of water left. Most of our water leaked out over the winter. What is the best process to find that leak. I have bought a repair kit with patches and glue. My husband thinks it would be easier to find with the pool full of water. I think it should be easier to find with it low. That way the leak should be somewhere just above or at the waterline. We have had it covered so the water left in the pool is clear except for one small area that it pulled away and the bottom is dirty. The water is still clear there. My husband believes it has to be on the side wall or all of the water would have leaked out. Any thoughts on the best way to find this hole?

Well, as a husband myself, it saddens me to say he was wrong and you are correct. :) Ha ha. No sense filling it up again as it will only drop back to where the tear is. If it stopped leaking, it's very likely the defect is somewhere around that waterline as you suspect. But, do you have a main drain? Sometimes drains equipped with a hydro-static valve develop a small leak in there, either the valve goes bad, or something like dirt or debris got wedged just enough to let water out. Something to consider.

As for finding a leak in a liner, it's all about patience, quiet water, and perhaps some food coloring. Often times a new tear was from a final season-ending vacuum or brushing that tore a spot. Not enough to show at closing, but over the winter it all leaked out. Take your time. I'll put a link below in case it helps at all. Happy hunting!

Well, as a husband myself, it saddens me to say he was wrong and you are correct. :) Ha ha. No sense filling it up again as it will only drop back to where the tear is. If it stopped leaking, it's very likely the defect is somewhere around that waterline as you suspect. But, do you have a main drain? Sometimes drains equipped with a hydro-static valve develop a small leak in there, either the valve goes bad, or something like dirt or debris got wedged just enough to let water out. Something to consider.

As for finding a leak in a liner, it's all about patience, quiet water, and perhaps some food coloring. Often times a new tear was from a final season-ending vacuum or brushing that tore a spot. Not enough to show at closing, but over the winter it all leaked out. Take your time. I'll put a link below in case it helps at all. Happy hunting!

We don't have a drain-it's a simple above ground pool so that is not an issue. I guess I will become the detective now and try to find the leak. LOL

Reactions: Texas Splash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.