How to figure out whether/how to do a water exchange?

The Taylor bottles that hold titrating reagents (R-0009, R-0871, R-0012, etc) all use 40uL droplet size fitments. The concentration of the reagent is adjusted to make the math wirk out. The indicator reagent (R-0008, R-0011L, etc) bottles also use similar fitments but they’re droplet size is not as important since the indicators are typically added in excess.

Taylor tips and TFTestKit tips should never be interchanged.

Reactions: mknauss

“There are two factors that contribute to the drop size of the dropper tip. The first being the external size and shape of the tip surface, where the drop is being formed. The second factor is the coefficient of friction of the product being dispensed. The higher the coefficient, the greater the drop size. For controlled dropper tips, drop sizes are often measured, and specified, in µL.
The viscosity of the product being dispensed largely determines the orifice size. This also determines the rate at which the drop is formed on the dropper, as well as the ease or difficulty to expel the liquid from the tip.

I thought so. I don’t think all of the tips in these Taylor test kits are interchangeable.
I mean, anecdotally at least you guys with TF-100 kits don't get it Itty bitty drops from the R0012 bottles, so you?

Don't toy with my emotions now that I'm getting results that make sense o_O

The Taylor bottles that hold titrating reagents (R-0009, R-0871, R-0012, etc) all use 40uL droplet size fitments. The concentration of the reagent is adjusted to make the math wirk out. The indicator reagent (R-0008, R-0011L, etc) bottles also use similar fitments but they’re droplet size is not as important since the indicators are typically added in excess.

To make sure I'm clear, you're saying TF test tips can be interchangeable with other TF test tips, but not TF test to Taylor tips?

EDIT: Also, my R0012 drop sizes are definitely not the same as other titrating agents.

To make sure I'm clear, you're saying TF test tips can be interchangeable with other TF test tips, but not TF test to Taylor tips?

EDIT: Also, my R0012 drop sizes are definitely not the same as other titrating agents.

Taylor test kits (K series stuff) and TFTestKits do not use compatible hardware. Keep them separate if you have both.

The dropper tip may be clogged or compromised. Get a new bottle of R-0012.

Neither are mine. So either the tips are different intentionally or it seems there is a whole lot of bogus test results happening because of test tip quality variation. Not confidence inspiring. Now I have to start worrying about something else besides getting the CYA test right.

Taylor test kits (K series stuff) and TFTestKits do not use compatible hardware. Keep them separate if you have both.

The dropper tip may be clogged or compromised. Get a new bottle of R-0012.
Why would I get a new bottle of R-0012? I thought I could just swap tips?

Are they adjusting the viscosity of the various titrating reagents also?

After reading what JN said, I swapped R0012 with R0009 instead of R0007 since R0009 and R0012 are both titrating agents so should have the same tip. This led to a couple conclusions.

First, I got the same results as when I used the R0007 tip (200 ppm CH), so I guess that one's a 40 uL tip as well?

Second, now that I've finished playing musical tips and put everything back the way it started, the R0012 tip works fine. I think all the times I popped it off and rinsed it off cleared out whatever blockage it had going on.

My advice, if you have a quirky tip, is to take it off and rinse it and see if that clears it up. Which feels kind of obvious and like the first thing I should have tried but I'm new and dumb.

Maybe it's worth it to add a blurb to the instructions that if droppers are acting weird it's easy to pop the tips off and clean them? Of course, that's assuming I didn't somehow mess up my reagents or something by rinsing the tips with tap water...

I conducted a test just to satisfy my curiosity. I weighed 10 drops from each of 1/2 dozen tips from reagents in the kit, some original bottles, some replacements. 10 drops of tap water from each tip weighed 39-41 grams. Pretty consistent.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.