How to factor concentration into chlorine cost?

Jun 25, 2017
Louisville KY
If Walmart has pool chlorine 10% at 3.64/gal, and household bleach 6% at 2.60/gal, how do I do the math to figure out which one is the most cost effective? Any insight to what a good price is on a gallon of chlorine for future reference? My test kit should be here tomorrow so that I can quit throwing my money away at the pool stores. Planning on doing a SLAM asap and deep cleaning my sand filter.

Pool hasn't been clear yet this year although levels seem to be fine. I was sold on clarifier, algae preventative, and floc "to clean the filter until I can replace the sand" (now that I'm reading here I'm not happy about that). I probably shouldn't get into all the gory details.

Thanks in advance.

If you don't have access to that website while out and about, it's still fairly simple calculation: you want dollars per oz. of chlorine.

Divide the price by (concentration * total size of jug in ounces)

Ex: $3.64 / (.1 * 128oz) = 28.4 cents per ounce of chlorine for the 10% stuff, or $2.60 / (.06 * 121oz) = 35.8-cents per ounce of chorine for the 6% stuff, assuming a 121oz jug. The 10% liquid is a much better buy assuming you'll use it in a reasonable timeframe.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.