How to equate 10% liquid chlorine to pounds of chlorine?

I have a new commercial pool that has three Hayward 940s that has to be constantly supplemented with liquid chlorine.
I know the 940s produce 1.4 lbs of chlorine per day and I know how much liquid 10% chlorine required per day. If I knew how to correlate the 10% liquid to pounds of chlorine I could make a better decision as to which commercial SWG I need. I know the Hayward C6 makes 6 lbs per day for instance.
These commercial units are very expensive and it’s important to get this right this time....no more trusting the pool builder!

You can use Poolmath. Just determine how much FC you are adding each day with LC, then back into the lbs of chlorine that equates to .

13 fluid ounces of 10% LC in 10,000 gallons of water will raise the FC by 1ppm.

3 x 1.4 lbs of chlorine gas output in 10,000 gallons of pool water will raise the FC by 50.4ppm.

So the 24 hour output of the SWGs is equivalent to 5.1 gallons of 10% LC .... theoretically speaking. YMMV

Is the 128 just on the weekends?

What levels are you getting for CC?

6 gallons of 10% will raise the FC by 15 ppm. That’s the equivalent of 5 lbs of chlorine gas.

The 3 SWGs will provide about 13 ppm from 4.35 lbs chlorine gas.

So, your total demand is about 9.35 lbs chlorine gas.

Last edited:
Reactions: cowboycasey
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.