How to drain spa water?

Blue Horse

LifeTime Supporter
Nov 5, 2015
Fremont, California 94539
Hello,

My pool is in ground, and there is an above the ground spa next to it.

How do I drain the water from this spa into the pool so I can sand off a rusty stain about 1 foot below water line?

Attached photo shows the drain from spa on the right side, and skimmer/pool drain from left side, Joined by the automatic valve, before going to the pool/filter pump.

Attachments

• E03A08C3-7A5B-4FE5-A418-180AF0DB8240.jpeg
    E03A08C3-7A5B-4FE5-A418-180AF0DB8240.jpeg
    589.4 KB · Views: 25
What you want to do is disengage the actuator and manually open the spa drain and then turn on the pump. That will suck water from the spa and send it to the pool. Looks like 180 degrees out from where it is now. The return side may need moving, too. Same procedure.
5.3 Manual Override, Power Off
1. Move toggle switch located on the bottom of actuator to the OFF (center) position.
2. Unscrew (counterclockwise) the locking knob above the handle four (4) full turns.
3. Push down on the locking knob (not the handle). This will disengage the gear train and allow the handle, and thus the valve diverter, to be moved to any position.
4. To return the actuator to automatic position, pull up on the handle while turning it clockwise or counterclockwise until you feel the shaft slide up into the gear train. Turn the locking knob down (clockwise) until snug.
5. Put toggle switch back to the original position.

I see.

Is there a way to "cheat" the system to electronically open this actuator on the spa drain side (right side), but not refilling the spa with return water? Ideally gravity will drain the water into pool.

I wonder if the Pentair Screenlogic Config can turn just this actuator itself.

I remember somehow made a mistake on valve positions 3 years ago and the spa water drained by gravity after system shut off at night. I corrected the valve position manually then. Don't remember what I did.

I see.

Is there a way to "cheat" the system to electronically open this actuator on the spa drain side (right side), but not refilling the spa with return water? Ideally gravity will drain the water into pool.

I wonder if the Pentair Screenlogic Config can turn just this actuator itself.

I remember somehow made a mistake on valve positions 3 years ago and the spa water drained by gravity after system shut off at night. I corrected the valve position manually then. Don't remember what I did.
There may be, but I'm not the guy to ask about it. The closest I come to automation is an Intermatic timer.

BH,

I have never tried this, as I have no Spa, but in theory you can go to the Service mode and use the "V" valve button to put the Spa in the Drain mode.

I would just use the little On-Off-On toggle switch on the Intake valve actuator, when the system is in the Pool mode. I would move the Intake valve to the Spa position. The pump will then suck all the water out of the spa. You need to make sure you stop the pump before the spa runs dry.

You cannot do this using ScreenLogic.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Blue Horse
This is how I drain a spa. No pump, no extension cord, just put the pipe in the water and shake it up and down a few times and it starts the siphon. Great for vacuuming debris off the bottom too. But because it uses a siphon it will not work on anything inground. The end of the hose must be lower than the end of the pipe. And they last just about forever. I have had the same one for 8 years and I fix spas for a living, so it gets alot of use. Alot of my customers buy them just for vacuuming. Just thought you might find it useful. :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you want to siphon, you can use the 1.5" vacuum hose.

Put the vacuum head on the non-swivel part of the hose, fill the hose with water, lower the vacuum head into the hot tub then drop the other end in the pool.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.