How to do SLAM with chlorine shortage

dkode

Feb 1, 2020
Austin, TX
So algae has taken hold in my pool and its fairly worse than its been before so I decided to fully commit to SLAM this time around.

My question is. What do you do when there's a liquid chlorine shortage. Ive called leslies, local stores, home depot, walmart and there is an extremely limited supply of liquid chlorine.

I can get tons of the powder shock stuff from Leslies but this seems less than ideal. What other options are there here?

Thanks for your help

Calcium numbers from last test was 288. Cya is 65

There was recently some rain so cya may be a little lower.

I did manage to find a wholesale place on braker and burnet and got 16 gallons of 12.5% that I think will work.

Am I naive to think 16 gallons is enough? I hope not lol.

Nice! good to know about the wholesale place. 16 gallons should do it? :)

I'm not recommending this, but why I asked about calcium is you could use cal-hypo which also increases your calcium number. Seems you have some wiggle room at 288 if you had to go that route.

Realize that the two most incorrect test results from a pool store are CH and CYA. I suggest you test them your self.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Realize that the two most incorrect test results from a pool store are CH and CYA. I suggest you test them your self.
Fair enough. I just retested the CYA myself and it's ~40 which puts me at ease.

My TA is still quite high even though I added a lot of acid this morning. Current test results:

FC: 0
Ph: 7.1
TA: 110
CYA: 45

Going to test CH now. Is it ok to start the slam with a TA that high?

TA is the parameter you are least concerned with. So nothing to worry about. Do the SLAM.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.