How to determine correct size pump/motor for spa jets?

IMV8N

Gold Supporter
Jun 5, 2020
Las Vegas
I have a pool spa combo. Pool jets and spa jets are on separate pumps. Spa has 4 jets. One of the jets bubbles a lot and displaces water when the blower is on. I tried covering one of the other jets in the spa and the jet that bubbles over calms down and acts normally. My assumption is that the pump that feeds the jets isn't powerful enough to feed all 4 jets appropriately. So Im thinking I'd like to get a more powerful pump. I'd like to get the most powerful pump that my spa jets can support. How can I determine what size or output my spa jets cans handle safely?

Get a VS pump like your IntelliFlo for your spa and then you can adjust the RPM and flow for whatever works best. There is no way of knowing what size pump you need. It will take some experimentation.

Reactions: IMV8N
There could be an obstruction in one of the lines. I would try removing the external fittings and the internal nozzles to flush the lines. Is this a new spa? Did it ever work properly?

I have a pool spa combo. Pool jets and spa jets are on separate pumps. Spa has 4 jets. One of the jets bubbles a lot and displaces water when the blower is on. I tried covering one of the other jets in the spa and the jet that bubbles over calms down and acts normally. My assumption is that the pump that feeds the jets isn't powerful enough to feed all 4 jets appropriately. So Im thinking I'd like to get a more powerful pump. I'd like to get the most powerful pump that my spa jets can support. How can I determine what size or output my spa jets cans handle safely?
Is it just the one jet that you're getting air to, with the other three getting none? Or does one of the jets bubble excessively while the other 3 function normally?

If it's the former - You likely don't have enough water going to the jets for the air to mix in with, causing all of the air to just escape out of the first jet and bubble straight up the wall.

If it's the latter, then you likely just have an issue with excess air being supplied to those jets. Typically in this kind of scenario, most of the jets will function normally with one or two of them having extra air bubbling straight up the wall. This can be fixed by bleeding off some of the excess air with an exhaust hole / 3 way valve, or installing a voltage controller on your blower to run it at slightly lower speed.

There are other ways to go about fixing this as well, but those would vary based on the answer to the first two questions.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.