How to cut-in replacement PVC plumbing?

NickinTX

Feb 22, 2020
Austin, TX
Hello all. My Jandy CL460 cartridge filter split open, so I am replacing the filter unit. However, the new unit was redesigned by Jandy, so the PVC lengths are slightly different. Before I start cutting the new plumbing, I wanted to ask two questions.

1) Can I use water (or another lubricant) to test the newly cut PVC pipes/unions before I glue them? Without lubricant, the pipes do not seat as deeply as they do with primer/cement. I'm guessing there is a good option for testing the connections.

2) What is the best way to guesstimate the required pipe lengths before I start cutting? Again, I'm hoping someone has a simple method or video to help me piece this project back together.

Thanks!
Nick

Thanks, Mark. Here are two pictures. I need to connect the top pipe (from filter to the return line), and this is my first time working with pool plumbing. I cut and cemented a piece too short, so I will have the replacement unions in a few days. The pipe structure is fairly rigid, so I need to make sure the new plumbing mates directly to the filter's outlet. This is why I was wondering if I can use a lubricant to test the length/fit of the PVC before I add the cement. The pipe and connections slide easily with primer/cement, but you have almost no working time since it sets so fast. When the pipe is dry, they don't seat to normal depth. That's how I messed up on the other union this morning. I appreciate any help!

Nick

Attachments

• 20200519_154329_resized.jpg
    20200519_154329_resized.jpg
    271.9 KB · Views: 38
  • 20200519_154337_resized.jpg
    20200519_154337_resized.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 38
Is that union in the photo glued in? If not, I would start with that. Then progressively work out from there with the straight pipe, then the elbow, then the small straight, then the union.

You can try water to lubricate, but it still may not seat fully. Then trying to get apart will be a bear. The fittings are tapered, so the pipe only dry fits about 1/2 way.

Just measure each piece carefully. Measure from the inside stop on the fittings. Make your cuts straight. Clean up the edges. Primer the pipe. Then apply the cement while primer is wet. Line up your pipe or fitting so you are a 1/4 turn from final position. Then turn it into position and hold for 30 secs.

I recently replaced most of my pool plumbing. I didn't find any way to dry fit pieces. You have to measure into the fitting, up to the lip, and then add that to every pipe cut. Be careful if you have fittings from different manufacturers. As far as I've been able to tell, there isn't a standard depth into the fitting.

One helpful thing that you might not know... the pipes will seat easier if you chamfer the edge of the pipe. I used a file and went around the outside edges to give them a chamfer before glueing everything together.

Getting the elbow that you need to install lined up is tricky if you don't do it a lot. What I would do is this. First, glue a section of pipe to the union that attaches to the filter. Then, temporarily insert a section to an elbow. Sit the elbow on the section coming from the filter and use the pipe to align to the connector on the other pipe. Mark the edge of the elbow on the section from the filter. The cut, though, is that line plus the depth of insertion into the elbow. Cut the pipe and glue on the elbow. Now, the elbow should be aligned with connector and you can just measure that section directly.

Reactions: markayash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.