How to clear up discolored hose/tap water?

chickflick

May 26, 2019
Boston, MA
Hi! I'm a new pool owner and am setting up a Coleman above ground 18 x 4 ft. It's about half full right now, my saltwater system is on its way.

Meanwhile, I'm filling the pool and the water from our pipes has a yellowish pallor to it. We knew this going in - we have old.pipes that are made out of stainless steel and are rusting. We have an in house saltwater filtration system for our drinking water, so the water is filtered but gets discolored.

tl;dr version is the water in my pool is kinda icky-looking yellow, because of my pipes.

Can anyone think of a way to clear it up?

(I didn't see anything about this in pool school or the forums but please feel free to link.)

Thanks!

Iron. Search for iron removal in the forum. Lots of methods. Polyfill, in line filters, etc.

Here is a thread discussing this issue- with pics!! Gotta have pics! :) I love the low tech polyfil way of getting rid of iron.

Maddie :flower:

Once you get it clear, keep an eye on your chemistry and keep algae under control. If you ever have to SLAM, the increased chlorine levels can cause the iron to precipitate out of solution and cause staining. As long as the iron stays in solution, it is not that big of a deal.

Reactions: chickflick
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.