How to clear a green pool first time pool owner pls help

Karan

Jun 24, 2017
New Jersey
This is my first year as a pool owner and I recently got my pool water test at Leslie's. They had told me that my cya was at 160 so they recommend bio-active.(which worked and bought my cya to 85). I had taken out all the cholrine for 3 days before putting bioactive which lead to my pool Turing in to green. So I try using liquid chroine which was 5.25%, I had added 16 gallons in two days which lead to the pool turing light green. Now I am not sure should I keep adding liquid chlorine or just buy shock?

Welcome to tfp!

We emphatically do not trust Pool Store testing as it has proven to be inaccurate and not repeatable so often. So if you want to take control of your pool and learn the TFPC method you need to invest in one of the recommended test kits. Since your water is green, I highly recommend the tf100 with the XL option. This is because you need to follow the slam process to clear up the green.

While you are waiting for your test kit to arrive you should review some of the articles in pool school which you can find at a link in my signature and at the top of the Forum page.

How can you maintain shock FC level if you can not test for it?

The kind of chlorine you add does not matter as far as the FC is concerned. BUT, the solid pucks and powders all add other things, like CH and CYA, that build up. I would not recommend them without know your full set of test results (that are not from a pool store ;) )

Welcome to TFP or as I call it POH, Pool Owners Heaven :)

You are pretty lucky only spending I am guessing 50$ at the pool store to get a green pool, most are into them for about 300$ by the time they show up here.

A reliable test kit is needed to make your pool life easier, I agree with Jason on the TFT100 w/xl

Yes you can use regular bleach, all of us do because it is cheaper.

You may want to start a log, very helpful in the long run.

Update your signature, go to settings and let us pool geeks know what kind of pool, and equipment you are running, helps a lot.

oh yeah and happy tfp ing

Click here for a link to a bio-active thread. I live in NJ also, I think it may have been easier, faster and probably less expensive in the long run to replace water with proper technique if in fact you have a CYA that high. Do not just empty pool could have disastrous results. But 1st thing you need is that test kit, best bang for you buck. I would get the speedstir as well as XL option. This kit has saved me many times the cost, and no I am not affiliated with them. After ordering a kit, need to educate yourself, read pool school. I wasted about$600-$800 before coming hear educating myself and saving thousands of dollars. The people here are very helpful and very knowledgeable if you do not understand just ask.

So is there any to clean the pool before the test kit reachs ?

By "clean the pool" I believe you mean sanitize with Chlorine. Many times when people do not have proper test kit the recommendation is to add 1 gal of unscented 8.25% bleach to pool each day. I notice Jblizzle did not make that recomendation. It may be because of the Bio-active. Maybe he would comment on this for us.

Also, when I order from TFTestkits.net I usually get it in 2 working days, order now will probably get it Tue.

So I had order the test kit but it is gonna a take a week to come. I already was doing the slam method but not the right way. I was just using a vacuum head to scrub and added 5.25% bleach. I added 16 128oz bottles it has turned the pool in to type cloudy and light green. So I was wonder should I get more liquid bleach or just go buy 73% chlorine shock? Because i need the pool clean in 4 days . Thanks for help Appreciate it

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
View attachment 64419This is what I was planning to buy but I am not sure if I should buy that or just keep put 5.25% bleach because I already put 16 128oz bottles

- - - Updated - - -

Yea so should keep put more bleach because it already mad a big impact on the green color it made it light green. Or just go with shock because it will be Quicker

No way would I add the powder shock. It will add extra "stuff" to your pool that it may not need. And this is probably not going to be a "fast" process. Be patient and wait for the test kit to arrive so you know exactly what your pool needs. Add only liquid chlorine and brush, brush, brush.

I'm sure the experts will be along soon, but I'm positive you don't need to put powder chlorine or pucks in until you have reliable test results.

Definitely do not put Leslie's power powder shock in pool. If anything liquid chlorine. I would wait on an expert (jblizzle) or another expert before putting anything in, again we do not know the chlorine level or CYA level for sure. After I was "pool $tore $chooled" by bad readings on tests, I took a sample to 3 different pool stores in the area. Same water, drawn at same time, went from one store to the other, all were different and different than the TF-100. In fact because I was in so much of a hurry and thought it would take a week to get the kit, I had results from the pool store on PH, surely they could read ph correctly, wrong the same day after I dumped a lot of acid in pool, my test kit arrived (only took 2 days even though they say seven) ph was off the chart 6.8 the lowest on the scale (actually much lower because of the amount of borax I had to put back in to get it to 7.2) took me another day to get ph back in balance so I could start the slam.

I assume you have the 4th of July deadline approaching.

Since my name was used so many times ... I guess I will comment.

I would not use the cal-hypo ... it is usually more expensive for the amount of FC that is added to the pool anyways. Plus it raises the CH and the pH and often results in making the pool cloudy.

You can use PoolMath to calculate what each bag of the powder will add to your pool. And compare the FC rise to that you get with bleach.

You are missing the point about the "shock" powder. It is not a magic potion. It adds the same chlorine as any other source, but has the added above side-effects. Your problem is that you are not likely holding the correct high FC, which is a function of your CYA level (see [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]), to kill everything in the water to clear it up.

Without any reliable test results, I would not recommend adding anything beyond 1 bottle of bleach a day.

Or ... ignore everything we keep saying ... and go back to the pool store dump and pray method. FYI, just adding massive amounts of bleach, like you might have done in the past (it is unlear over what period the 16 bottles was added) is a good way to damage and fade your liner. So, please keep that in mind.

Since my name was used so many times ... I guess I will comment.

I would not use the cal-hypo ... it is usually more expensive for the amount of FC that is added to the pool anyways. Plus it raises the CH and the pH and often results in making the pool cloudy.

You can use PoolMath to calculate what each bag of the powder will add to your pool. And compare the FC rise to that you get with bleach.

You are missing the point about the "shock" powder. It is not a magic potion. It adds the same chlorine as any other source, but has the added above side-effects. Your problem is that you are not likely holding the correct high FC, which is a function of your CYA level (see [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]), to kill everything in the water to clear it up.

Without any reliable test results, I would not recommend adding anything beyond 1 bottle of bleach a day.

Or ... ignore everything we keep saying ... and go back to the pool store dump and pray method. FYI, just adding massive amounts of bleach, like you might have done in the past (it is unlear over what period the 16 bottles was added) is a good way to damage and fade your liner. So, please keep that in mind.

Thanks your information you made me understand what I was doing wrong. Just to clarify 16 gallons were added over a course of 2 days

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.