How to clean this rust? Need new screw?

Aug 6, 2018
Indianapolis
Hi all,

How can I clean this rust off? Also, it looks like the person I contracted last year to install a new liner put in a different screw at the top than what is under water. The ones under water are flat, while the one up top is more round. Do I need to replace that? I'm sure it's easier, but I'm super nervous about taking it out and having it move or something.

20200707_195629.jpg

Someone did not use the correct stainless steel screw. I would not mess with it until the next liner replacement.

@jimmythegreek can this screw be replaced without access to the nut plate behind it?

All depends. It's one of 2 things. Either the original was lost amd this was a bad replacement. Or that one was stripped and this was slightly larger and what was on hand. Theres just plastic back there they are sheetmetal type screws. Remove it carefully amd match it up to an oval head sheetmetal screw of same size not bigher

if you want to address the rust, buy a lemon at the grocery store, cut it into quarters, every other day go and rub a lemon quarter onto the rust area and walk away. After about a week of doing this the rust stain will start to fade away. But, if you keep the screw in, I suspect that the rust will return from the source.

Have similar rust issue, as I hope the attached photos illustrate. The stainless steel ladder & steps are the original (pool built in 1977). Naval jelly removed the rust from the top step and the bolts. Should I coat the step with some sort of rust preventive solution before reattaching it? I've no problem removing each step & using naval jelly, but is there a better way? Any suggestions most welcome. Thanks very much.

Attachments

• ladder 1 .jpg
    ladder 1 .jpg
    308.7 KB · Views: 4
  • ladder 2.jpg
    ladder 2.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 4
  • step .JPG
    step .JPG
    786.4 KB · Views: 3
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.