How to choose between SWG and chlorine pool?

Aug 4, 2018
League city, tx
We are in the research phase of a new pool. We thought we wanted a saltwater pool. Our friends and family have saltwater pools and don't have issues. We have talked to a couple of PBs and they are all pushing away from SWG pools and toward standard chlorine pools. I've read the pool school articles on TFP and while I understand the pros and cons I am unsure what type of pool we want now. I understand that some PBs get kickbacks from equipment manufacturers. I have googled articles and all of the ones I have read online seem to be biased one way or the other. How do we make this decision? I know there is an increased upfront cost with a SWG vs regular chlorine pools. Is that really the only big drawback (other than corrosion from saltwater). I want us to make the best decision for our new pool.

Welcome to the forum! :handshake:

A salt water pool is a chlorine pool and a chlorine pool is a salt water pool. All pools, whether using a SWCG or liquid chlorine have salt in them. The salinity for a 'salt water' pool is about 3500 ppm. The salinity for a 'chlorine' pool usually gets to 1000ppm or higher.

We have seen no issues of corrosion from a salt water pool that is properly maintained. Out of control pH is the primary cause of corrosion in pools.

Many members here would not have a pool without a SWCG. Me included.

I suggest you read Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Trouble Free Pool School book.

2 of the PBs mentioned they usually install travertine coping and we would have to seal it annually to help prevent erosion/corrosion with a SWCG pool. we are not really sure what to get on any of it though. We want an inground gunnite pool with spa. That's about the only thing we have really decided on.

Welcome to TFP... a great place to find the answers to all of your new pool questions, no matter what "League" your city is in... :shark:

What corrosion problems??? :confused:

So, you have family and friends with saltwater pools and they have no problems, but for some reason when a pool builder claims the world will end if you get a saltwater pool, you think it must be true?

I have three saltwater pools and if I built 100 more pools they would all be saltwater pools.

Just makes sure any salt system is rated for at least 2 x the volume of your pool.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Yes, welcome to TFP :)

I'm one of those pool owners that probably either wouldn't have a pool without my SWG or I'd be miserable. Not to say adding chlorine has to be miserable but I really appreciate having the SWG take care of chlorination.

Thank you all for the responses. I am re reading the articles in Pool School. So much of it I don't understand and I'm sure that understanding will come with time/experience. I'm thinking about just sticking with our original plan of a SWCG pool. I just want to make sure I'm not missing some vital differences between the two types of pools. I didn't realize that chlorine pools have a salt content as well even though it is lower. Just so many other options to think about and learn about. This pool building stuff is almost as time consuming as building a house haha!

PB present the choices like this:

Option 1 (which they usually recommend against): install a salt chlorine generator, and suffer the consequences. The consequences being damaged pool surfaces and equipment.

Option 2: Use an in-line chlorinator that is so easy to use. Just put some pucks in once a week, and all will be good.

They don’t tell you that those pucks have stabilizer in them that will build up gradually. Initially it just means you need to keep your free chlorine levels high enough (which most people don’t know to do). Eventually, the stabilizer will be so high, it will be impractical to keep enough chlorine in your pool.

The real options are option 1, or Option 2a. Option 2a is to pour liquid chlorine into your pool daily, or store large amounts of chlorine and pump it in.

Many people use option 2a, and that’s a fine option. Option 1, in my opinion, is by far the best.

Original Option 2 really isn’t an option except for short term use when you want to raise the amount of stabilizer in your pool.

For some reason a lot of Texas builders avoid SWGs. THey toss a lot of scare tactics at you such as reduced warranty coverage and damage to stone, etc.

THe problem is that they can't ever show you an example of such damage! Its an Urban Myth!

Now, there *are* some types of stone that are softer than other types. The answer is to know which is which and avoid the soft stuff. Also be aware that stone any place not near a pool will also sometimes flake and change over time. So it has nothing to do with the pool. The builder just doesn't want to have to deal with this type of claim.

Over time any pool that has chemicals put in to plain fresh water will end up with salts building up in the water. That is just a side product of the chemical break down. So no existing pool is at zero level salt to begin with. Don't be afraid of salt in normal pool levels. Unless you live near the ocean you won't notice it.

Another thing to be aware of is that some PBs also run pool shops that sell chlorine pucks to owners. So the use of a SWG may feel like a potential lost sale revenue to the PB hoping to keep you in supply of chems.

...and some pool builders are just out of date and refuse to admit it. SWGs have been here since the 80s, they're proven effective.

Maddie :flower:

Amitya:

My concrete is sealed and I will have to put another coat next year. To protect the surface, what I do is clean the surface after heavy use (This may be time consuming as your pool will get more use than my pool). A quick rinse with water after from the pool and patio is your best interest. With me, I use a quality foam gun (the ones that are used for cars http://www.autogeek.net) and spray down everything including the furniture, concrete and regular deck, let sit for a minute and then rinse completely. All oils and salt is now removed into the landscaping area, which is minimal and will not hurt anything.

If you will be using the pool daily for hours on hours with a lot of people, then a quick rinse every other day, followed up by a soap/rinse weekly is in your best interest. While under construction, run a hose near the pool as a convenience. Good luck and keep us posted!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
For one I've VERY glad I found this forum prior to us starting our build to avoid all the myths out there. We haven't finished yet but there is zero chance I'd build anything without a SWCG. For the record only one of the PBs I talked to (out of 8) recommended against SW.

The PBs i talked too in eastern PA will only do chlorine if the customer strongly rejects the SWG. They are 99% SWG at this point.

Have your PB explain to you why he believes chlorine is in your best interest. Since you have read up on SWG you will be able to quickly debunk the 'urban legends' of salt water pools and find out if he has valid reasons for your pool to be chlorine.

I talked to 8 or more builders when choosing my pool... most of them quoted initially with SWCG and offered to remove it if you preferred. All three types of pools were quoted (gunite, liner, fiberglass). None of those builders had any issues with SWCG except for one... he claimed the concrete would degrade, and the deck would degrade, and wanted to sell me a chlorine pool with an Ionizer/Mineral system. He claimed it was the best thing out there, however my research showed that it too, is just a chlorine pool and they use the ionizer/minerals to help boost the chlorine and prevent other issues.

Kinda sounds like a more expensive version of "Pool Math" (found easily on this site) to me!?? Kinda funny the only one bad-mouthing SWCG, is the guy selling something different?? For my 2-cents, I wouldn't trade my SWCG for anything so far. It does all the work and you don't have to worry about buying, adding or messing with Chlorine 3 times a week!

It's like saying you don't like the remote for your TV cause you prefer to get up and change the channel!! ;)

he claimed the concrete would degrade, and the deck would degrade, and wanted to sell me a chlorine pool with an Ionizer/Mineral system. He claimed it was the best thing out there, however my research showed that it too, is just a chlorine pool and they use the ionizer/minerals to help boost the chlorine and prevent other issues.

I had the Frog System, and I bet that the profit margin on all the items that go along with this is huge, compared to the one time SWG mark up. This has to be the reason behind this. Currently for sale on Let Go!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.