How to build a gravel pad?

May 26, 2013
Ottawa, On, Canada
We've ordered a Nordic Warrior XL 110v which should be here in 6-8 weeks. Or dealer asked that we have either a gravel pad or a poured concrete pad. I'm opting for gravel as I'd rather not have a giant slab of concrete in our yard (nor do I think it's necessary for a smaller tub like ours). The only problem is they didn't provide and details beyond that it must be level. Does anyone have any recommendations? I.e. depth, type of stone to use, etc? I like the idea of pea gravel but I could foresee it being an issue. Also, would a reinforcing grid (i.e. something like this HandyGrid DIY Base — IOWAT Group Inc.) be a good idea or is it overkill for a smaller tub like ours?

Personally, I would opt for 12x12 pavers on a bed of compacted DG. I wouldn’t trust my tub being on gravel. Folks don’t realize how heavy water is, and any shift in the gravel can cause cracks in the shell.

Let me ping a few folks to get you some ideas. :cheers:
@RDspaguy @Jimrahbe

Huh, interesting. They actually specifically said they didn't want it on pavers. Maybe because usually people just slap the pavers down and don't bother making a bed for it first?

A spa must be evenly supported across the bottom. Most of the weight falls in the footwell, with some around the edge. If you only support the edge it will crack the shell. Because of the framing underneath the spa and the uneven weight distribution it will sink into gravel, with or without pavers. With pavers is better, but no guarantee.
I recommend a concrete pad or a plastic spa pad. The grid you linked would also be a suitable choice if properly installed flat and level.

With gravel, your gravel base is only going to be as good as the soil that is underneath it. Concrete on the other hand can bridge (to some extent) poor subsoils.

If you are going to excavate, and then compact, gravel is OK. If you are just going to dump it on topsoil, then it is going to settle. It's kind of liek installing an above ground pool.

I will be putting my hot tub on pea gravel when it gets here in November, but my case is a bit different. I have brick pavers over a concrete slab. I will be removing the bricks in the area of the hot tub, and filling that spot with pea gravel. This will provide a level base for the tub, but the 2.5" of pea gravel will be on concrete and constrained on all edges by the rest of the patio.

We've ordered a Nordic Warrior XL 110v which should be here in 6-8 weeks. Or dealer asked that we have either a gravel pad or a poured concrete pad. I'm opting for gravel as I'd rather not have a giant slab of concrete in our yard (nor do I think it's necessary for a smaller tub like ours). The only problem is they didn't provide and details beyond that it must be level. Does anyone have any recommendations? I.e. depth, type of stone to use, etc? I like the idea of pea gravel but I could foresee it being an issue. Also, would a reinforcing grid (i.e. something like this HandyGrid DIY Base — IOWAT Group Inc.) be a good idea or is it overkill for a smaller tub like ours?

Hi. We just installed our spa on gravel. I didn't use pea gravel - very expensive compared to other kinds of gravel. We thought we'd leveled it properly, but on first use we saw that it wasn't quite level. The installers said that they'd return to level it for us when we next emptied the spa, and that's just what they did! It's level now. For that reason, I am a fan of gravel: mistakes can be adjusted.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.