NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
So I have a great understanding for the tfp method for my pool now that’s to this forum, but now I want to apply it to my hot tub.
I have a 360 gallon hotspring limelight flash hot tub with a salt water generator. I will use whatever store chemicals I have to get rid of them then I’m going to use just liquid chlorine to supplement the salt system and muriatic acid for ph.
How does CYA come into play since it’s a covered hot tub. If it’s not needed how do I figure out how much free chlorine I should have. Currently they suggest 1-5 with a target of 3. Weekly they have us adding 4 tbsp of oxidizer and monthly shocking the water to 5ppm. they also have use replacing the salt system every 4 months and draining the water every 6 months to a year. The salt system is a freshwater salt system.
Is there a way to use pool math for the hot tub? How do I figure out what my salt system daily chlorine output is. And do I really need to replace these every 4 months? Are they really that much of a consumable and made different than the pool ones?

what salt system is this?? Sounds like a frog system and you really do not want one of those... You want a real SWG and add salt to your tub... then run it exactly like your pool..

add CYA to 20/30
add salt
drop in SWG
keep between 3 to 5 FC
after soak add 1 or 2 table spoons of 10% chlorine

Enjoy the tub.. :)

Reactions: IdRatherBeSwimming
He has the Hot Springs Freshwater Salt system, not the Frog system. As long as the cartridge isn't defective (Hot Springs has an issue with them) it works but does seem to be more troublesome than the Saltron. Hopefully other HS owners can chime in here.

Ahh, well that is great but sucks that you need a new one at 4 months.. My chlormaker lasted 4 years and I think is still running at my nephews house :)

Reactions: A.O.
So my plan is to get the chlorine up to 5 with liquid chlorine and then try to dial in the level for the salt system through trial and error. From what I read 0 cya is ideal. If anyone knows better let me know. It’s covered and mainly used at night so it’s not really exposed to the sun unless I’m doing maintenance. I guess maintenance could be done at night to avoid any sun exposure at all.

Anyone know if the weekly oxidizer is necessary since it’s a hot tub with hot temperatures and a small amount of water. Or do u guys think the oxidizer is a better product for the weekly maintenance?

So I have a great understanding for the tfp method for my pool now that’s to this forum, but now I want to apply it to my hot tub.
I have a 360 gallon hotspring limelight flash hot tub with a salt water generator. I will use whatever store chemicals I have to get rid of them then I’m going to use just liquid chlorine to supplement the salt system and muriatic acid for ph.
How does CYA come into play since it’s a covered hot tub. If it’s not needed how do I figure out how much free chlorine I should have. Currently they suggest 1-5 with a target of 3. Weekly they have us adding 4 tbsp of oxidizer and monthly shocking the water to 5ppm. they also have use replacing the salt system every 4 months and draining the water every 6 months to a year. The salt system is a freshwater salt system.
Is there a way to use pool math for the hot tub? How do I figure out what my salt system daily chlorine output is. And do I really need to replace these every 4 months? Are they really that much of a consumable and made different than the pool ones?
First off who is "they" ? Hot tub place maybe? Remember "they" are there to try to sell you stuff!
Where did you read CYA at 0? A little is good to take some of the harshness out of the chlorine.
I run my tub at about 30 CYA and 50 TA, I do not have a SWG I just use liquid chlorine, a 10% mix. You can get your CYA up to that with a dichlor start, then go to the liquid chlorine. I use NO oxidizer and NO monthly shock. I try to keep in the 2-4 FC range, We use the tub twice a day, pretty much every day and adding 2oz chlorine after every use keeps it in line with the occasional liquid MA for the PH, maybe 1/4-1/2 oz once or twice a week... nothing else. I change my water maybe every 4-6 months or so, when it lets me know it needs changing.

Oh, and read this How do I use Chlorine in my Spa (or pool)?

I agree with adding CYA in the 20-30 ranged based on recommendations from this forum. I don't believe an oxidizer is required. I use a chlorine shock if combined chlorine rises.

Good discussion of why you want some CYA in a hot tub.......

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.