How tight should solid cover be?

jlt19

Aug 20, 2019
St. Louis, Missouri
We have the solid cover that came with the pool on. We put two tubes in and hung jugs of water around to keep it on. We didn't tighten it too much because we were unsure. Went away for a week and came home to this.

Should we tighten as much as we can? Leave some slack? DH is going to get a hand siphon (we have a pump but he wants to do this). 20191019_083538.jpg

Anytime you get rain/snow it gonna do that. Which doesn’t hurt anything. If you don’t want to have yucky stagnant water on top you can drain it with a pump or siphon. But most people get sick of constantly doing so and ultimately just leave it until it gets almost full before draining again.

Anytime you get rain/snow it gonna do that. Which doesn’t hurt anything. If you don’t want to have yucky stagnant water on top you can drain it with a pump or siphon. But most people get sick of constantly doing so and ultimately just leave it until it gets almost full before draining again.
That's good to know it won't hurt anything. That was my fear, that the water would pull on the sides too much and break the pool. I guess at some point it'll just sit on top of the pool water though.

I wasn't sure if we should try to make it like a circus tent with a tall middle spot and hope the water drained off (sort of like when you put a pole in the middle of a boat?)

I don't mind draining while it's 60 degrees. 0? Not so much.

Reactions: Newdude
I wasn't sure if we should try to make it like a circus tent with a tall middle spot

that’s the idea that most people try for. More tent means less water can collect. But it will still collect with the water level below the skimmer. And the pillows rarely make it through the winter so although most people start with a bigger tent, most of them end up flat anyway.

Reactions: jlt19
I don't mind draining while it's 60 degrees. 0? Not so much

everybody starts right and are gung ho before it gets cold out. Most people give up at some point and it freezes for a few months. once it gets slightly warm enough to care again, everybody shrugs and says ‘Meh, it’s been like that for the last 3 months now, might as well let it be for another month until opening’.

so if you let it be now, you’re just letting it be sooner. Cuz you’ll end up letting it be anyway.

In my experience if enough water collects it will the cover off.
I feel like a very important verb is missing here, lol.

I ended up buying the little giant and it's been great so far. I don't feel comfortable with it plugged in 24/7 (my own paranoia) so I've just stopped it once it's left a little bit. I like some water on there because it makes me feel like the cover won't blow away as easily.

I feel like a very important verb is missing here, lol.

I ended up buying the little giant and it's been great so far. I don't feel comfortable with it plugged in 24/7 (my own paranoia) so I've just stopped it once it's left a little bit. I like some water on there because it makes me feel like the cover won't blow away as easily.
Yes you are correct. I meant to say rip or pull the cover off lol. I used home made bungee cards to secure it so it can flex as needed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.