How t o Clear Plaster Dust From Pool / Start Up Procedure???

parkinsmith

Gold Supporter
Apr 30, 2021
Clifton Texas, Lake Whitney
PB came and turned on my equipment today, new pool /plaster. PB insisted that in order to clear the plaster debris from brushing I must use the vacuum which has wheels every time after I brush. ( the one you attach to the skimmer) . This is opposite of everything I have read and been told. and what is on the plaster start up sheet from manufacturer. I have stonescapes pebbles with glass beads added.

I thought I needed to do the following
1. Not put anything in the pool with wheels or a robot for 2-3 weeks
2. Brush 2-3 times a day.
3. Watch my filter pressure and back wash as needed when pressure rises above my clean pressure . I have a Hayward Sand filter with Glass Media and a Variable speed pump which they set to 80% running 24/7

I am confused.

Is it best to use the vacuum after I brush ? If so is this ok for the plaster?
Wil not doing this screw up my filter or something?
Can the filter handle all the plaster dust from brushing without me vacuuming ?
Hoping for some feedback on what would be best as I need to start brushing :)

Your PB is a ________!

Vacuuming will just pull the dust into the filter unless you are vacuuming to a waste line.

Your filter can handle it.

You need to decide if you follow us and the startup guide or your ______PB.

Hi
Day 2 after filling a new pool and new stonescapes plaster, 15K /Salt. I am following the Plaster start up guide for my plaster. It tells me to get my alkalinity to 80ppm and PH to 7.2.-7.6
My fill water before adding anything had a reading of
AKL 250
PH 8.2
*PB added 2 Gal of MA yesterday at startup

Today
AK is 250
PH 8.2
Tested with my Taylor Kit and at the Pool Store
App and pool store suggested 4 gal of Muriatic Acid .
My question is over what period of time should I add this . Note, rain is expected in Central TX for the next 4 days.

Additional question and info, chlorine.
The plaster start up guide said DO NOT add Chlorine until day 3 and to add diluted chlorine . The PB when he started up the pool put Chlorine pucks in my inline chlorinator and set it to 4 and the chlorine is now 9.61, I turned the dial down to 2. Any thoughts on this and the best path forward? Plaster start up range should be 1.5-3ppm.

Would appreciate any guidence.

You need to decide if you will follow:

• TFP Startup recommendations
  • Plaster manufacturer startup
  • Pool Builder instructions
You should not mix and match between them. Pick the one and follow it.

You should not make pH changes of more then 0.3-0.4 in one dose. Then test pH and TA after 30 minutes and dose again if necessary.

Manufactures startup guides limit the FC to 3 ppm or less for the first 30 days so that you do not bleach out the color from the curing plaster. I would let the FC get down around 3.

We recommend startups be done with liquid chlorine and muriatic acid rather then Trichlor tablets.

You need to decide if you will follow:

• TFP Startup recommendations
  • Plaster manufacturer startup
  • Pool Builder instructions
You should not mix and match between them. Pick the one and follow it.

You should not make pH changes of more then 0.3-0.4 in one dose. Then test pH and TA after 30 minutes and dose again if necessary.

Manufactures startup guides limit the FC to 3 ppm or less for the first 30 days so that you do not bleach out the color from the curing plaster. I would let the FC get down around 3.

We recommend startups be done with liquid chlorine and muriatic acid rather then Trichlor tablets.

Thank you for the feedback!

From day 1 I have been attempting to follow the manufacturer start up ( NPT Stonescapes) The protocols are also listed on TFP in all the links for the various startups. NPT - JewelScapes/StoneScapes/QuartzScapes

Once started up I then plan to follow the TFP water chemistry methods.

With this said, a few things have been a challenge for me these first 3 days and as I am still learning and not sure how to stay on track when my numbers don't match the target numbers on the start up sheet.

1. The PB during start up ( after I asked him not to/will not be seeing him again! ) added chlorine tabs to the in line chlorinator and put it on 4 ( protocol said wait until day 3 to add chlorine and best to use liquid). So what is the best path now ?

A. Turn off chlorinator and use liquid
B. Stay with the tabs on a lower setting to try and get the number into the suggested 3 range ? (It is now 10 )

2. The protocol suggests on day 1, 2, 3 to get the TA in a range of 80ppm and PH in a range of 7.2-7.6, My TA is high ( 270) and I am working to bring it down by adding MA.
On day 2, it called for adjusting Calcium Hardness to min 150ppm and after day 4 it calls for adjusting CYA to 30 -50 ppm .

What I am unsure of is if should adjust the calcium hardness and CYA if I have not yet achieved their range suggested for TA, this is not made clear anywhere in protocols. So the question is do I move through all the steps without achieving the first step of TA 80nppm ? Any thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
1. The PB during start up ( after I asked him not to/will not be seeing him again! ) added chlorine tabs to the in line chlorinator and put it on 4 ( protocol said wait until day 3 to add chlorine and best to use liquid). So what is the best path now ?

A. Turn off chlorinator and use liquid
B. Stay with the tabs on a lower setting to try and get the number into the suggested 3 range ? (It is now 10 )

We are now past day 3 so lets move on.

Lower the chlorinator to get your FC around 2-4 and use up the tabs in it. Don't add tabs to the chlorinator.

2. The protocol suggests on day 1, 2, 3 to get the TA in a range of 80ppm and PH in a range of 7.2-7.6, My TA is high ( 270) and I am working to bring it down by adding MA.
On day 2, it called for adjusting Calcium Hardness to min 150ppm and after day 4 it calls for adjusting CYA to 30 -50 ppm .

What I am unsure of is if should adjust the calcium hardness and CYA if I have not yet achieved their range suggested for TA, this is not made clear anywhere in protocols. So the question is do I move through all the steps without achieving the first step of TA 80nppm ? Any thoughts?
TA, CH, and CYA can all be adjusted independently. They each take different methods and different amounts of time to get within the target ranges.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.