How soon after shotcrete can tile be installed?

orthopod

Gold Supporter
Jan 12, 2008
Braselton, Ga
How soon after shotcrete can tile be installed?
We have had some rain that has kept the shotcrete moist, and it’s been HUMID- all good for the shell.

How long do installers typically wait after the shell is poured to install tile?

Shell was poured 3 days ago

Thanks

There is no issue installing tile after just a couple days. It's far more important to have a high quality waterproofer applied to the waterline before the tile is set.

Agreed. I would however add that some non-cementitious waterproofing agents should not be applied to fresh shotcrete. I know you're a fan of Merlex Super Blockade, which can be applied pretty much right away, but that's not the case for some of the elastomeric waterproofing options.

I believe the elastomeric agents don't play nicely with plaster which surprises me that they still get used in pools. Seems like it would be a pain to waterproof only the area getting tiles as opposed to slopping the stuff anywhere you please...

I do like Super Blockade for that very reason and also because its rated for the positive and negative sides of dam walls. BaseCrete and pretty much anything Laticrete makes are very good choices as well.

Actually our gunite is being put in today and the pool builder said the tile guy is coming tomorrow. I will need to clarify that again with him.

When I start watering the gunite for curing, is it going to mess up the freshly placed tile?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
doesn't a lot of the time differences stated here brian have to do with humidity and temperature also to process the curing time for the shelling? meaning higher temps you all get down south help to allow to tile quicker than say myself when my temps were not super hot after the shoot and hence the 30 days we waited?

i swore i read that before on here or head it from someone.

jim

doesn't a lot of the time differences stated here brian have to do with humidity and temperature also to process the curing time for the shelling? meaning higher temps you all get down south help to allow to tile quicker than say myself when my temps were not super hot after the shoot and hence the 30 days we waited?

i swore i read that before on here or head it from someone.

jim

No, not exactly. Concrete is going to cure unless you put retarders in it and even they have their limits. If anything lower heat and high humidity will prevent shrinkage cracks but shouldn't delay the actual curing by any measureable amount.

The whole 30 day wait thing comes from the idea that concrete isn't fully cured until 28 days after being poured. That really only accounts for the concrete achieving its rated compressive strength and that really isn't a concern until the pool shell experiences a structural load (ie: filled with water or weight of a structure). Cosmetic finishes can be applied as soon as the the hydration has drastically reduced which is in less than 48 hours of application.

Screen Shot 2018-09-10 at 2.46.57 PM.jpg

The only real reason to wait would be if shrinkage cracks are expected since they can translate out to the tile.

Ron Lacher of Pool Engineering Inc wrote on this very topic and it can be read HERE (click on the Progression of Work Article to open the PDF)

No, not exactly. Concrete is going to cure unless you put retarders in it and even they have their limits. If anything lower heat and high humidity will prevent shrinkage cracks but shouldn't delay the actual curing by any measureable amount.

The whole 30 day wait thing comes from the idea that concrete isn't fully cured until 28 days after being poured. That really only accounts for the concrete achieving its rated compressive strength and that really isn't a concern until the pool shell experiences a structural load (ie: filled with water or weight of a structure). Cosmetic finishes can be applied as soon as the the hydration has drastically reduced which is in less than 48 hours of application.

View attachment 86290

The only real reason to wait would be if shrinkage cracks are expected since they can translate out to the tile.

Ron Lacher of Pool Engineering Inc wrote on this very topic and it can be read HERE (click on the Progression of Work Article to open the PDF)

B! Your rock!!! Thanks for posting this. I learn something new from you all of the time!

Kim:kim:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.