How should I use my new gas heater?

joseywales

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 11, 2009
Exton, PA
So we have a new gas heater. In 2.5 hours it brought up the temp 6 degrees. I believe. There was a lot going on, so I need to test again. Anyway, i set it for 85 and water temp on the heater read 84 degrees. I set it down to 80 for the night, so the unit would turn off. I know gas is really more intend for timely use, rather than temperature maintenance, so what should I really be doing? What would be the most efficient use of the gas. 200,000 BTU heater.

My kids are home for the summer. They might hit the pool as early as 10AM. So, should I:

1 - leave the temp set at 78 at night, then just turn it up to 85 first thing in the AM? That way, it might kick on overnight, to help maintain at least 80

2 - Leave it on 85 overnight? That seems like it would eat a lot of gas.

3 - turn the unit off at night and just set it to 85 first thing in the AM?

4 - other ideas?

Leave it at your desired temp or 1-2 degrees below that. It's more efficient to hold a set temp then to let the water cool and have to cycle back up. Covering the pool at night will go a LONG WAY to reducing the gas load and keeping the pool warm.

Leave it at your desired temp or 1-2 degrees below that. It's more efficient to hold a set temp then to let the water cool and have to cycle back up. m.

Even with gas? I understand it makes sense to maintain, but I was thinking that could be a lot of gas trying to maintain 85 degrees overnight. I had a solar cover, but I'll have to get a new one tomorrow.

Also, where are you located? I usually use mine in April / May when the days are cooler, but am not heating it everyday over the Summer. I will probably use it again in September/October to extend the season, but the only on the weekends.

Also, where are you located? I usually use mine in April / May when the days are cooler, but am not heating it everyday over the Summer. I will probably use it again in September/October to extend the season, but the only on the weekends.

Right next door! I'm in PA. We'll use this thing nearly every day. Our pool used to get sun most of the day, but overgrown trees from surrounding properties have put an end to that. Plus, my wife and I like the water warmer than the kids do.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.