How should I replumb these valves?

JohnPal

Jul 20, 2019
Glendale, Arizona
pool-valves.jpg

All three of these valves are leaking. The handles are brittle and don't turn all the way anymore, so I want to replace all three.
I have a few questions I'd love to get some advice on...

1. Can I swap these with identical ones since it looks like they have threaded couplings? I've never replaced these before, so is it feasible?
2. Should I replumb these three with a multiport valve? If so, how would I accomplish that?

Thanks in advance!

1) If both ends are threaded and you can identify the brand and locate replacements, it's feasible. That style of valve is prone to binding and handles snapping off, so I wouldn't. And you probably won;t be able to locate them unless you're extraordinarily lucky and somewhere there's a brand name molded in and the company is still in business and making those. .

2) It looks awful tight for three way valves and elbows. If I had to do it, I'd saw the pipe off even with the existing multiport and then cut the other three pipes just below the existing valves. Those multiports are dual-sized, so you can glue a coupling to the outside of it and not have to dig out the pipe or try to glue to a short stub. And then depending on space, either run the larger diameter to the new tees and elbow and reduce before you connect to the pipes or reduce down just after the multiport and rebuild it to mimic the existing setup, but using 2-way Jandy valves. Definitely spend the extra on Jandy valves. If they ever get stiff or leak, they can be rebuilt.

2) It looks awful tight for three way valves and elbows. If I had to do it, I'd saw the pipe off even with the existing multiport and then cut the other three pipes just below the existing valves. Those multiports are dual-sized, so you can glue a coupling to the outside of it and not have to dig out the pipe or try to glue to a short stub. And then depending on space, either run the larger diameter to the new tees and elbow and reduce before you connect to the pipes or reduce down just after the multiport and rebuild it to mimic the existing setup, but using 2-way Jandy valves. Definitely spend the extra on Jandy valves. If they ever get stiff or leak, they can be rebuilt.

Thanks Richard! This is exactly the feedback I was hoping for.
I was definitely leery of doing an exact replacement of those valves considering how they don't last too well in the AZ sun and dryness.

I didn't even realize that Jandy had two way valves :giggle: , so I'll definitely go that route.
I'll also use a coupling on the outside of the existing one as you recommend...great tip!

Thanks again! Cheers! ?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.