How often to backwash sand filter to avoid channeling?

JMarch

Jan 25, 2010
I usually backwash my sand filter about every 7-10 days even though the pressure gauge indicates that it's not needed- mostly to prevent any channelling. Is that often enough or too frequent?

You should only backwash as needed.

I have recently heard from a Pentair Filter engineer that aggressive backwashing leads to premature failure of the laterals. I had never considered that before but it makes perfect sense.

Butterfly said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: Can't wait to see that answer! :mrgreen:

Heh heh. I'll bet that he has to do it about twice a year. Once when he opens up and maybe once about midseason. I can't imagine him needing to do it more often than that.

Unrelated note Dave, but how often are you having to backwash that big grain elevator of a sand filter that you have?
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Aw, Shucks! (I thought you'd never ask....I strut like Tim the Tool Man every time the subject comes up :whoot: )

Truthfully, I have such a mess in the Spring, (vow to fix that in the next two years) I have to shock and backwash that pool for several days. The normal psi is around 9 and I let it get to 15 and then clean it. It collects a humongous amount of debris, dirt, and dead algae.....I have to backwash for a good two minutes before the glass starts to clear.

My "protege", aust1628, has just started his build and, thanks to all of us, he is installing one virtually as big......so much so he wasn't all that impressed when he stopped by and saw the grain elevator. Luckily, he admitted his wasn't any larger or I would've been depressed for a couple of weeks. :shock: :shock: (yes, I understand what I am saying :oops: )

Back to the subject, Once it's cleaned in the Spring, I am pretty much done with backwashing as long as I don't let the FC slip backwards and have to shock again.

Well, all teasing about your huge filter aside, you no doubt need it for that size pool and the fact that you fill it from the pond, or maybe you don't. I can't remember. Gotta have something big enough to be able to get that water clean.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.