How Often to Add Bleach

Did you add a gallon of bleach yesterday?

When you get in your new test kit, measure your CYA. If you have to adjust, wait about a week and then measure again. After that, you only need to test 1-2 more times during the season - and that is only if you have added a lot of water, there has been alot of rain, etc.

aa62579 said:
Did you add a gallon of bleach yesterday?

When you get in your new test kit, measure your CYA. If you have to adjust, wait about a week and then measure again. After that, you only need to test 1-2 more times during the season - and that is only if you have added a lot of water, there has been alot of rain, etc.

I only added about 1/2 gallon. Will retest and add more tonight.

Thanks

Redman said:
mynewpool said:
I add daily and use my test results to determine how much to add.

How did you figure out how much liquid bleach/chlorine to add to keep it at normal range?

My test either show it as ideal (7.2-7.8) or almost none at all. I'm trying to figure out how much bleach to add at a time to reach the ideal range.
I probably add a little to much when needed. I guess this is an ongoing learning process right now.

I am confused about what you are asking. Basically each day I test my FC. I use the pool calculator and put in my level now and the goal and it will tell me how much to add.

Why only a half gallon? How are you coming up with how much to add? Are you using the pool calculator? If so, what numbers are you plugging in?

From your earlier numbers:
CL = 2-3
PH = 7.6-7.7
TA = 90-100
Hardness = 100-120
CYA = 50-60

With a CYA of 55, you never want your FC to fall below 4-4.5. (4 from pool calculator, 4.5 from Chlorine/CYA chart). If your starting FC was 2.5, a half gallon would only bring you up to 4.5. As soon as the sun hits it or if you have any organics in the pool, they will use up the chlorine and drop it below the minimum level. You should have added enough to reach 6.5 to 9ppm. (two numbers from the different sources) To bring it to 6.5 would require 127 oz, 9 would require 206 oz. (128 oz in a gallon). Make sure when you test tonight you are adding enough to reach 6.5 - 9ppm and using the calculator properly.

mynewpool said:
Redman said:
mynewpool said:
I add daily and use my test results to determine how much to add.

How did you figure out how much liquid bleach/chlorine to add to keep it at normal range?

My test either show it as ideal (7.2-7.8) or almost none at all. I'm trying to figure out how much bleach to add at a time to reach the ideal range.
I probably add a little to much when needed. I guess this is an ongoing learning process right now.

I am confused about what you are asking. Basically each day I test my FC. I use the pool calculator and put in my level now and the goal and it will tell me how much to add.

I was asking because there doesn't have to be any guesswork about it. Your CYA will tell you what goal to plug in and your test tells you what FC you have. The calculator will tell you how much to add. Your posts make it seem like you did not know what numbers to be plugging in.

aa62579 said:
Why only a half gallon? How are you coming up with how much to add? Are you using the pool calculator? If so, what numbers are you plugging in?

CL = 2-3
PH = 7.6-7.7
TA = 90-100
Hardness = 100-120
CYA = 50-60

With a CYA of 55, you never want your FC to fall below 4-4.5. (4 from pool calculator, 4.5 from Chlorine/CYA chart). If your starting FC was 2.5, a half gallon would only bring you up to 4.5. As soon as the sun hits it or if you have any organics in the pool, they will use up the chlorine and drop it below the minimum level. You should have added enough to reach 6.5 to 9ppm. (two numbers from the different sources) To bring it to 6.5 would require 127 oz, 9 would require 206 oz. (128 oz in a gallon). Make sure when you test tonight you are adding enough to reach 6.5 - 9ppm and using the calculator properly.

I am new to the BBB system and still learning the normal levels, etc. for my pool.
I will be using the pool calculator to determine what and how much to add. but I havn't used it yet, as I am in the process of getting the Taylor Test Kit. I have a cheaper testing kit (I know - not good) but all I have right now. It will test the CYA, TA, PH, CL/BR and CH but not FC or CC. I have studied the Pool Calculator so I will totally understand it after I get the Taylor Kit. Still looks a little confusing right now. I'm sure once I start using it, it will be easy.
So until I get the new testing kit, I am kind-of guessing about how much CL to add. I was trying to keep it around 3-4.

Redman said:
aa62579 said:

CL = 2-3
PH = 7.6-7.7
TA = 90-100
Hardness = 100-120
CYA = 50-60

I am new to the BBB system and still learning the normal levels, etc. for my pool.
I will be using the pool calculator to determine what and how much to add. but I havn't used it yet, as I am in the process of getting the Taylor Test Kit. I have a cheaper testing kit (I know - not good) but all I have right now. It will test the CYA, TA, PH, CL/BR and CH but not FC or CC. I have studied the Pool Calculator so I will totally understand it after I get the Taylor Kit. Still looks a little confusing right now. I'm sure once I start using it, it will be easy.
So until I get the new testing kit, I am kind-of guessing about how much CL to add. I was trying to keep it around 3-4.

You should be using the pool calculator now. It does not care what test kit you have. If that CYA level is accurate, you are keeping chlorine levels too low.

You'll need to keep your FC higher than 3-4 if you want to avoid cloudy water and the dreaded algae. Trust me... I let mine fall below the recommended level for just a short time and the algae is ready to show it's ugly self especially now in the warmer temperatures.

If you aim for just above the 6.5 FC that aa62579 gave you you will likely keep yourself out of problems (unless they're already lurking) and it's safe if you overshoot some. I'd rather be on the high side a little than take a chance and have to go through the shock process later.

OK, I am in the learning process, but gaining knowledge every day.

The test kit I'm using (tube and drops) states that ideal levels should be as follows:
CL - between 1.0 - 1.5
PH - between 7.2 - 7.8
TA - between 120 -150
CH - between 200 - 400
CYA - between 30 - 50

The test strips show ideal levels as follows:
FC - between 2 - 4
PH - between 7.2 - 7.5
TA - between 80 - 120
CH - between 200 - 400
CYA - between 30 - 50

So ... is there a major difference between these levels and levels I should use for the BBB?
Why am I being told to raise CL to between 3-7? What other reading are off?
I'll keep adjusting for now. Come on Taylor K-2006.
What's the difference between the Taylor K-2006 & K-2005 (besides price)?

I hope I'm not driving you guys crazy yet.

Suziqzer said:
You'll need to keep your FC higher than 3-4 if you want to avoid cloudy water and the dreaded algae. Trust me... I let mine fall below the recommended level for just a short time and the algae is ready to show it's ugly self especially now in the warmer temperatures.

If you aim for just above the 6.5 FC that aa62579 gave you you will likely keep yourself out of problems (unless they're already lurking) and it's safe if you overshoot some. I'd rather be on the high side a little than take a chance and have to go through the shock process later.

With the BBB system, is there never a shock treatment unless you run into problems?
Just maintain all levels of the BBB, and all is good?

WOW.. and all of this time I have been told to maintain PH, TA and CL, shock once a week, add 20% algaecide every week or so, vacuum and backwash evey week, etc., etc. Pool Store :hammer:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Please look at the link in my post from the first page. That is the chart that tells you what chlorine level you need based off your CYA. Use those levels, not the ones on your strips or other kit.

You only have to shock if you get an algae attack. If you follow BBB, you hopefully will never get one of those. Unfortunately, with the low levels you have been at, you may already be on the verge of one.

For BBB to work, you must follow the guidelines and instructions found here, not the ones from the pool store or on your test strip.

Re: Re: How Often to Add Bleach

Redman said:
Suziqzer said:

With the BBB system, is there never a shock treatment unless you run into problems?
Just maintain all levels of the BBB, and all is good?

WOW.. and all of this time I have been told to maintain PH, TA and CL, shock once a week, add 20% algaecide every week or so, vacuum and backwash evey week, etc., etc. Pool Store :hammer:

You still must maintain pH. Add muriatic acid if it gets high. That in turn will basically maintain your TA if needed.

Redman,

Regarding the recommended levels on those strips and other kits... The problem I see with those is that the ranges they give are OK in some places and not OK in others, and what is OK depends on some of the other ranges. Those sources do not ask the vital questions about the surface of your pool, the source of your chlorine, and so on.

That is, FC 2-4 is ideal at CYA 30, but not at CYA of 50. If your CYA is 30 and you have a SWG, then FC 1-1.5 is OK (but IMO cutting it rather close if you have a dog or much usage of the pool that would consume a lot of chlorine fast) but in practice your CYA ought to be much much higher, per SWG manual. If you have an indoor pool FC 1-1.5 is fine but your CYA does not need to be even 30 then.

CH of 200 - 400 is correct for a plaster pool but not for vinyl.

pH of 7.2 to 7.5 or 7.8 is fine. We say 7.2 to 7.8 is OK but 7.5 is ideal since that is pH of the eye.

TA of 80-120 or 120-150.... probably both wrong. If you are using trichlor pucks, then you want something like 100-120, but whether above or below is a minor point, but for knowing how that reacts with the pH and CH in the pool to create the saturation index which tells you if your plaster pool is tending to being damaged. If you are not using trichlor, but using bleach or SWG you want the lower end of that, down to 60 or 70. If you have a lot of aeration, waterfalls, spillover spa, slide, or many kids, you may still see a lot of rapid rise in pH at TA of 80.

So really, they have just tried to simplify something to make it "One size fits all" when you and I both know how that turns out.

Now, before you worry over all that chemistry above, don't, just go to the Pool Calculator and see that your numbers work out. Check the FC and pH daily and adjust as needed. Then every week or month test the rest and see that they are in line and the CSI is good enough. Now that we have the magic of the internet, you can pick the brains of some really smart pool wizards who can help you with your particular set of circumstances and you don't have to try a One Size solution.

THANKS for all of the help, answers and suggestions. I think I'm on the right track now.
My pool is crystal clear right now, but it is raining today. Only some dirt/debris on the bottom.
Going to recheck the CYA and determine the CL levels I need. I have all of the supplies I need to get to the proper levels of CL, PH, TA, CH, CYA.
From now on, I'll be using the pool calculator to determine what actions to take. I'm sure I'll have more questions as I go. But now I know where to ask the questions. :party:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.