How often should water be removed from pool cover?

sierradmax

May 25, 2020
RI
First year of owning an AG pool so this was my first closing. Everything went well. Water level was drained to about 2" below return. It's been roughly 2 months since I closed the pool and I've kept a close eye on debris & rainwater level on top of the cover (with a pillow in the center). Last night, I ran a pump for roughly 2 hours to drain water. I've measured my pump to 10 gpm so that would equate to roughly 1200 gallons on top of the cover. Based on the rainfall we've received in the last 2 months and some math, I'd say the volume is fairly accurate. Is it good practice to remove standing water on top of the cover through the off season and just prior to freezing?

Is it good practice to remove standing water on top of the cover through the off season and just prior to freezing?
Yup. That’s exactly it. Keep an eye on it and drain as needed. I’m just south of you and expect about 3ft of new water per off season.

Depending on your cover, sometimes you can pump existing water through your saturated cover so be careful not to take too much out. Also depending on the cover, sometimes the weight of the top water can push out original water through the skimmer or over the sides, so don’t take out too little water either.

Keep an eye on the level of the cover to ensure you are draining enough water and the right kind of water.

Reactions: mariane
These darn pool is more a pain in the winter then the summer and takes more care.
It’s less work but the sweat equity takes a lot longer to materialize. Drain you again ???? I haven’t seen or swam in you in MONTHS !!! :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: mariane
We regularly drain the cover until the first freeze and then stop. I have been seen pulling large chunks of ice off the cover when the weather is not too cold, no snow, the ice thin and I can reach it. :eek:
The first snow usually happens without a freeze, and then seems to thaw. So we make sure we drain any "moving" water from the cover. :scratch:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.