How often run robotic suction pool cleaner ???

jedi5

Aug 2, 2022
SoCal
Hi everyone.
Just moved into a home with an inground pool.
I'm still learning here, LOL.

I havethis (or maybe an older model??) robotic pool cleaner.

The previous home owner had the cleaner programmed to run
every day for 8 hours per day.

I've tweaked the schedule so that the cleaner now runs 6 hrs daily instead of 8.

My question to you who know more -

How often should this cleaner run?
Daily? 1x per week? 2-3x per week?

And on those days that the cleaner is running, how long should it run for?
I've read anywhere from 2-8 hours.

I have a medium sized pool.
Because of school/after school activities/sports, I'd say only
one person is swimming daily for maybe 1 hour per day.
The pool doesn't really get that dirty in terms of debris.
I mean it does but nothing major.

Help??

Last edited by a moderator:
That's not a robot, that's a vacuum. Robots run on electricity.

Only you can determine how long to run your cleaner. 8 hours/day sounds like way too much. I think the average is more like 1-2 hours/day. But it will all depend on how dirty your particular pool gets and how well your particular cleaner works.

Take your best guess and reduce the time and see whether that time works. Adjust as necessary.

Please Create Your Signature so we can help further. Add the following to your signature (with model numbers if available):

Pump: Single or variable speed?
Filter: what type of filter
Chlorinator: do you have SWG?
Cleaner: Suction side cleaner
Heater: any heater?
Automation: Hayward Omnilogic

I have the same question. I don't have any way to "turn off" my vacuum but keep the pump running, so mine runs when the pump runs which right now is 8p to 6a. I have a valve set to 75% vacuum and 25% skimmer.

To my knowledge, there is no difference in running 50/50 or 100% skimmer. I was told not to 100% vacuum. Both are sending water through the filter, it's just where it's coming from (bottom of pool vs top).

I don't have any way to "turn off" my vacuum but keep the pump running, so mine runs when the pump runs which right now is 8p to 6a. I have a valve set to 75% vacuum and 25% skimmer.
If you turn to 100% skimmer your vacuum should now be off.

IMO, when to run the cleaner is pretty much different for each pool. I live in Florida and a pool and cleaning it is a YEAR ROUND EVENT> I run my cleaner ever 6 to 10 days, but I'm under a birdcage, a very small amount of debris enters my pool area.

Keep in mind the more you run the cleaner the more the consumable parts wear out, I.E. Hayward Navigator had one, a constant replacement of shoes, wings, cams, and bearings, TOO MUCH upkeep, plus expense. I went to a Kreepy Krawler , not much upkeep.

It depends on the debris in your pool as others have stated.
In summer I run mine 3 hrs per WEEK. In fall/winter I up that to 5-8 hrs per week. I have a pressure side cleaner that stays in the pool.

@jedi5 Is your cleaner (vacuum) a pressure side cleaner (most common have a booster pump) or a suction side cleaner (a plumbing line tied to the suction of your pump}?

If you turn to 100% skimmer your vacuum should now be off.

IMO, when to run the cleaner is pretty much different for each pool. I live in Florida and a pool and cleaning it is a YEAR ROUND EVENT> I run my cleaner ever 6 to 10 days, but I'm under a birdcage, a very small amount of debris enters my pool area.

Keep in mind the more you run the cleaner the more the consumable parts wear out, I.E. Hayward Navigator had one, a constant replacement of shoes, wings, cams, and bearings, TOO MUCH upkeep, plus expense. I went to a Kreepy Krawler , not much upkeep.

Correct. I meant run the cleaner on a timer separate from the pump. It wouldn't be too hard to turn it on for only one night a week and see how it goes re:consumables.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.