How often does the return jet leak?

mrdorkdar

Nov 23, 2017
Lake Forest, CA
Just installed a brand new liner. Looks perfect. Filled the pool up and already dropped like 4 inches in one day. Dropped past the skimmer so I know that’s not it. I’ll know in the morning but it hasn’t dropped past the bottom of the return. The gaskets looked good when I reinstalled it and I tightened it pretty good. I don’t see any leaking on either side, but is it possible for these to leak? It’s a 12x24 pool so 4” or so in a day is a lot of water going somewhere I just can’t figure out where. I live in so-cal so no crazy weather and no signs of rust either.

I’ll know in the morning but it hasn’t dropped past the bottom of the return.
Unless by some weird twist of fate you developed a tear at that same level, it would seem reasonable the return is your culprit. A gasket might have gotten pinched ever so slightly when tightening.

Second most common leak after skimmer gasket I would say.

Check, re check, and then have a family member double check that you've read the instructions for the return gasket assembly order correctly. Sometimes the way that makes sense or the way they do it in all the youtube videos is not actually correct.

Oh but also of course, any plumbing leak will show the same draining symptom, the return jet is the lowest point for water to get out of the pool and into the plumbing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.