How often do you test?

After getting the pool balanced and clear:
I test pH and Chlorine about every 2-3 days. After a big storm or a pool party I'll test more frequently.
I test TA, CH, CYA, and Salt once a month.

If a test result shows I have to add something I will test for that chemical 30-60 mins after making the addition.

Reactions: Bperry and john0886
I’m testing FC everyday and pH about 2 times a week. I only test TA, CH and CYA when something that could affect them happen (heavy rain, refill, etc) or when something is not looking right (I was burning 5ppm of FC per day due to low CYA that I tested for).

Reactions: john0886
FC every other day if solar cover has mostly been on pool. FC every day if mostly no cover having been in use or heavier than norm bather load. PH pretty much when testing for FC as I’m forever trying to keep my TA down to somewhere close to the upper neighborhood of recommended levels.

CYA every 2-3 weeks. Other values about 1x a month.

Its a question that needs to be taken in context. If you live close to the edge by keeping your FC around target (not the minimum but target) level you need to test often. I run my FC hot. That way I only test it once or twice a week. Even if the SWG shuts down, I have enough headroom on FC to catch it. I also test CYA every time I test FC because I bought a ton of CYA reagent, and it lets me fine tune my pool better.

Every pool is different. Learn your pool and learn what works. You start that by testing often.

Notice the pattern. SWG = Once or twice a week. Liquid Chlorine = daily.

I test FC and pH once a week unless I am adjusting a chemical level. I test CYA, CH, TA once or twice a month. Salt I use the readout from the SWG.

Notice the pattern. SWG = Once or twice a week. Liquid Chlorine = daily.

I test FC and pH once a week unless I am adjusting a chemical level. I test CYA, CH, TA once or twice a month. Salt I use the readout from the SWG.
I don’t think it is directly related to the way a pool is chlorinated. I believe it is a consequence of understanding the chlorine demand of ones pool under different conditions during the pool season and the actions they take.
Seems people with SWG like red-beard and people running hot on FC (aiming for never letting the FC drop below the target) are more likely to be comfortable in running fewer tests.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I run at the upper end because I still fear mustard algae. But I do know some people who just dump in X quarts of liquid chlorine everyday and test once a week. That is not far off from the SWG people. On Quora, a pool cleaner guy said they dump in enough liquid chlorine to last a week! That seems crazy!

I run at the upper end because I still fear mustard algae. But I do know some people who just dump in X quarts of liquid chlorine everyday and test once a week. That is not far off from the SWG people. On Quora, a pool cleaner guy said they dump in enough liquid chlorine to last a week! That seems crazy!
With the hot weather we've been having in KY, I find myself adding a little in the morning, and enough to boost to around 7-9ppm at night, which lasts throughout the next day with the little boost in the morning.

I'm sure a lot of people do it differently, but that's what seems to work best for me during the hot months.

Something else I've also learned from TFP is that maintenance is key. Maintaining 7-8ppm is a lot easier than letting it drop to 4-5 and trying to get it back up.

It's crazy how much I've learned from this forum! Really thankful for all the help.

Reactions: Newdude
We all have. I finally got my pool to TFP perfection last year. It was supposed to be 2019...but I thought I could just up my CYA with the devil's pool candy, and overshot AGAIN! And I didn't want to drain and refill the pool AGAIN. Suffered another year.

Last summer, after 4 months of Liquid Chlorine, I decided to buy a SWG. Great decision. No more issues if I go out of town!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.