Silver Supporter
Feb 1, 2015
The Woodlands TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have owned a Dolphin Nautilus for about 4 years now. It cleans like a champ. My usual routine is to wait until the bottom of the pool is noticeably dirty before I run the robot. Generally, this may be once a week if the wind is not blowing too many leaves into the pool, twice a week if it is. Recently, I have had a nagging suspicion that I should be running it more often. I saw a post from someone on here that suggested that he ran his Dolphin several times a week. So, I'm looking for suggestions.

I keep the robot in the garage when not in use. Cleaning involves pulling out the robot, plugging in the controller, dropping the robot into the pool, cleaning the filters after use, and returning the robot to the garage. Is this what you guys do? Less? More?

Reactions: WisconsinBubbles
I do about the same. My pool’s cleaning needs vary with the winds and rainy season but 2-3 times per week is about average. My robot stays in the shade under my porch when not in use and I put it away in the garage over winter (Dec-Mar). I manually vacuum over the winter.

Reactions: RedScare
Red,

On average, I run mine about three times a week.. Depending on the time of year, sometimes everyday..

My power supply is mounted to a wall and is always plugged in. The robot sits on a couple of wooden blocks, under the roof overhang when not in use. I just coil the cord in large loops on the deck.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I'm quite similar to Jim. Although we get leaves when the wind kicks up I've learned not to go by that. Living in Florida sand just creeps everywhere so I run Igor 2-3x/week and am always impressed with what gets picked up that I couldn't see.

I don't enjoy seeing the cleaner in my pool and one of the reasons I use a robot is so that I can quickly take it out or put it in only when needed..

I don't think the robot cares, one way or the other..

Different strokes for different folks... :)

Jim R.

I run mine every day. I have a carry caddy so it is pretty easy to move around. Take it out when ready to swim and back in the water in the evening. If no one swims I just leave it in the pool. Clean the filters about once per week. My three grand daughters ages 7, 5, and 3 use the pool often with their friends (they live next door to me). I can’t belive how much hair it picks up!

Once a week if the wind does not get above 15mph.
A better answer may be "as often as I want".
Man I do not miss vacuuming the pool. I also appreciate not having any cleaning equipment in the pool 24/7.

Sounds like I don't run mine nearly enough. That's why it often looks dirty. And, I need to learn to leave it out more often. It's not like the rain will hurt it.

So, how often do y'all clean the filters? If you run it often, it likely isn't picking up that much dirt most days.

Dust, dirt, tiny insects and bits of vegetative detris is what my filters collect after a run. I remove the unit from the pool, pull the basket, and remove all the filters for cleaning each time. I also rinse the unit and cord then store it all inside the pool shed with the bot on it side. Long may she run.

Reactions: RedScare and Tena

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have only been running mine once or twice a week, unless we have wind/rain.

For now it lives on the covered porch in its cart.

I like Jim's idea of mounting the power supply. I don't like pushing it around especially while I'm cleaning everything.

Once a week if the wind does not get above 15mph.
A better answer may be "as often as I want".
Man I do not miss vacuuming the pool. I also appreciate not having any cleaning equipment in the pool 24/7.
I like having no equipment in the pool as well, which is why I pull it out each time. I just need to put it back in more often than I do currently.

Used to run it everyday, but recently changed to every other day. I am now contemplating maybe twice a week since pool doesn't get that dirty. Robot stays in the pool unless it's the weekend and we have company over. I clean the filters once a week. The pool guy cleans skimmers once a week and I net the surface about every other day.

I have never rinsed mine off, and rarely store it out of sunlight. For the sake of the plastic, I definitely see the value of storing it out of direct sunlight. How will residue chlorine affect the robot over time?

To answer the OP's question, I usually run 2-3 times a week. If I plan correctly, I'll always run for a bit after I remove the solar cover (and subsequently dump the collected junk).

Mine is currently being serviced under warranty so not at all :/ I almost regret getting rid of my old polaris as a backup... Almost.

When I get him back I'll run him every other day as I have a ton of trees and Crud that blows into the pool. I can clean out skimmers every few days and rinse out the robot filters every time I pull out of the pool.

The Texas sun definitely takes a toll on the robots paint so I'm going to do a better job this year of taking out of the pool more frequently.

Speaking of caddies and dollies...we found that the S200 sits perfectly on a $10 harbor freight dolly. The tracks which are not that vulnerable, sit perfectly on the carpeted part of the dolly and the scrubbers are held clear. No tipping it on it's side or carrying it.

That may be the recommendation but the outer driving tracks look like tank tracks and are pretty firm rubber so I don't see them as something that would squish, especially resting on carpet. The longer scrubber wheels are the ones that are more of a concern and those sit high on the dolly. After several months I have no issues and keep in mind, many folks leave them in the pool 24/7.

That's my 2c

Reactions: Gladius Nova
I run mine pretty much every day. I have a couple of big trees with small leaves on them, and they are constantly falling into the pool.

We have an oak and two crape myrtles over hanging a bit. The neighbor has a big tree with small leaves at the west end, but so far only the storms seem to cause a lot of dropping. The other day when I thought the crape myrtle had to go, it was actually an ant swarm. ?‍♀️?

I still have my pump running 24/7 and my July bill doubled, so I need to cut it down, but I credit that for it staying so clean with my random vacuum usage. ?

Reactions: Divin Dave

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.