How often do you run spa?

May 22, 2016
Friendswood/TX
I had family over yesterday and the pool was sparkling and right on w chemistry. However, we decided to hop in the spa and several people mentioned a "smell" which I am guessing was chloramines (have not checked CC yet but I will). My question is: I am thinking my spa chemistry is off and I don't know because I never test it. I have been testing the pool only. Is there an amount of time I need to run the spa each day to keep the spa water fresh? I currently run it 15min per day in spa mode. I also have min flow through it in pool mode 24/7.

Just curious what y'all do to keep your spa chemistry as good as your main pool.

Your spa is separate and doesn't spill over into the pool? If you have a spill over spa, you are pulling in water from the pool into the spa while the pump is running so the spa water is being replaced.

Were you running the automation in SPA mode? Was the water recirculating only in the spa or was it spilling over into the pool?

If you have a spillover spa, then whatever your pool chemistry is, so is the spa.

If you are running your spa each day for 15 min, that's enough as well. But, let's define "running the spa"? Do you change from "pool" mode to "spa" mode, meaning there is no longer water spilling over and your circulation is only in the spa? [that is, if your pump is only for the pool or spa function separately and you do nott have a pump for each function.

If you spa has a blower, you should run that a couples times week too.

again ,define what you mean by running spa and if you have a blower or not?

I have a common pool/spa pump. I run the system in "pool" mode 24/7 except the 15mins daily I run it in "spa" mode. In spa mode the pump circulates through the spa only with no spillover to the pool. Except for the 15mins of daily spa mode, in pool mode I am circulating through the pool only.

I have the blower set to run during the same 15mins of my daily spa mode.

Sounds like Richard knows my family pretty well... we are a bit stinky [emoji12]

I have a common pool/spa pump. I run the system in "pool" mode 24/7 except the 15mins daily I run it in "spa" mode. In spa mode the pump circulates through the spa only with no spillover to the pool. Except for the 15mins of daily spa mode, in pool mode I am circulating through the pool only.

I have the blower set to run during the same 15mins of my daily spa mode.

Sounds like Richard knows my family pretty well... we are a bit stinky [emoji12]

With the EasyTouch automation, you could just create an AERATOR feature circuit with the AERATOR function applied to it and that will adjust your valves so that the suction side is on the pool and the return flow is through the spa jets. That way, you don't have to activate the heater or blower (if you have one) and the SWG stays at POOL mode chlorination levels instead of going down to 1/20th the output %.

I use AERATOR in lieu of setting up a dedicated spa schedule.

I ran FC levels last night on both the spa and pool... drumroll... they were exactly the same! Apparently the mixing I get in the spa is better than I guessed. No bleach today, my FC was 10 [emoji106]
And, CC was 0 in both spa and pool.

As long as your spa spills over into the pool and the pump is run for as long as you say, no real need to run the system in spa mode for the 15 min per day.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I agree. I run it in spa mode to filter the heavier sediments, run the heater and blower. I figure can't hurt to run them just to keep things ready. Not sure if there is any real benefit, but that's what I told myself when setting up the schedule.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.