How often do you have to turn off the water going to your sand filter?

CoolHome

Jun 6, 2020
Crawfordsville, IN
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello, new pool owner. Have an 18x48 Coleman Frame Pool which has two 1.25" outtake hoses going to the filter and the only way to stop the water is to put in plugs. I just ordered the Intex 3000 GPH Sand Filter Pump and my question is how often do you have to shut off the water from the intake hoses to the sand filter? What kind of maintenance situations require that? I saw that you can buy a plunger valve but honestly I'm over spending money on this bad boy so while I have no doubt it would be useful, just wondering how often I'd really need it? If not too often I'll stick with the plugs for now and save additional niceties like this for next year (my list of such things keeps growing!). If its something I'm having to do all the time though I'd just as soon get it now. TIA!

Thanks Chasarms. Once a week is not too bad, though I could potentially see wanting to clean that debris basket more frequently since we have a lot of trees around the pool. I hadn't thought of the need to do that so I think that answers my question, probably worth it!

You should only have to plug it if you clean the pump basket or open the sand filter. Plugged ours twice in 3 years is all. once to replace swg.

Mine has screens inside the pool on the lines to pump so have only had to clean pump basket once and even then wasn’t really needed.

Reactions: CoolHome
Can you not just cut the power and stop water movement? (admittedly not quite savvy to those Intex things)

Maddie :flower:
Maddie - I don't have the sand filter/pump yet but with my cartridge filter, since its on the ground below the water line, if you open it up the water just keeps pouring out freely, I imagine its the same thing with the sand filter. I get around that with my current filter by lifting it up to change the cartridge (rather than mess with plugs every day).

Msch99, Ah yes, I have the screens too. Good point. Though I had wondered about potentially taking them off because of the debris basket and maybe getting out more stuff before it falls to the bottom. Or maybe I'm just dreaming! LOL. It would also make it less of a pain to hook up the vacuum. An over the rail skimmer basket is on my list of upgrades for next year. Like everything else pool related this year they seem to be in short supply and over-priced.

I left the screens off when opened pool to try without them. Six of one half dozen of the other. Back on now. Just have to watch for leaves hanging up and restricting flow.
I was going to put a through the wall skimmer in last year, but the support legs are getting rust blisters so decided to skip and replace pool after this season. One with hard sides and skimmer(s).

Reactions: CoolHome
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.