How much water should one lose to evaporation?

JFS61

Aug 16, 2015
Bryan, Texas
I was curious, especially as I live in Central Texas, where summer temps stay round the 90 (heat index as been up in the 100's lately) degree mark for much of the summer (we have high humidity around here as well). We seem to be losing about an inch a day, and everyone says we should only be losing about quarter to half inch at most (in addition, this was measured one day when the pump wasn't running). Last thing we need is a leak (finances such as they are), as there's not a lot we can do about it right now.

Hey neighbor! We lose about an inch or two a week from evaporation. I usually have to top off the pool twice a week, If you are worried about a leak perform a bucket test.

Only been 8 hours, but it's pretty apparent so far from the bucket test that we have a real problem - Lost close to half an inch in the pool already, while the bucket lost just a couple of milimeters (if that).

Sad problem is, I haven't the foggiest idea of how we're going to pay for the testing (much less any repairs).

This article has some tips on leak detection....

Let the water drop and see where it stabilizes. The level is just below where the leak is.

See if the bucket test shows a leak with your pump off to identify if it is from your plumbing.

This article has some tips on leak detection....

Let the water drop and see where it stabilizes. The level is just below where the leak is.

See if the bucket test shows a leak with your pump off to identify if it is from your plumbing.
Thanks.

I didn't run the pump today, so will see what tomorrow holds.

Thing was I just replaced the MPV, and was hoping that was the last of our problems for awhile. Of course, with MPV letting water flow back into the pool (in addition to the heavy rains we've had as late), it masked the water loss, so no telling how long this has been going on.

I was curious, especially as I live in Central Texas, where summer temps stay round the 90 (heat index as been up in the 100's lately) degree mark for much of the summer (we have high humidity around here as well). We seem to be losing about an inch a day, and everyone says we should only be losing about quarter to half inch at most (in addition, this was measured one day when the pump wasn't running). Last thing we need is a leak (finances such as they are), as there's not a lot we can do about it right now.
A few years ago I was losing inches per day. After a while the problem became worse. There were tell-tale signs that I needed a refinishing because tiles were coming off and falling into the pool and even though I would reapply the tiles I was steadily losing tiles. I had the pool guy come over and with a couple of knocks on the coping where the tiles were there would be a hollow sound unlike in other locations. Turned out I needed a refinishing. After 20 years who knew?

Keep an eye on if the problem is worsening. Could be a symptom of a bigger issue.

Did the bucket test with the water off last week. Don't know how accurate it was, as the top step is less than half the height of the 5 gallon bucket we're using, while the second step is too deep. Anyway, the outside of the bucket showed a 3/4 inch loss, while the inside of the bucket showed a 1/4 inch loss. Haven't been able to follow up, as it's been non-stop rain the past couple of days.

Like I say, I don't know if the water level in the bucket being so low affected the results, but even if it did, I don't think it would account for a 1/2 inch difference (maybe I'm wrong, though). I'll try again once the rain stops. Then again, our pool is 17 years old, and not only that, we live in an area with constantly shifting clay soils with alternating years of drought and rain, so no telling what maybe going on. And lastly, I'm curious how long this may have been going, as the damaged MPV allowed water back into the pool distorted the water level, not to mention all the rain we've had the year mucking it up as well. Sure would hate to think that this has been going on for an extended period of time (especially with the pool's proximity to the house).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.