How much $ to switch to salt

Jun 3, 2017
Long Island/NY
If I’m hiring a business to do it. They told me $2k and I want to make sure that sounds accurate.

Also, my pool is full sun all day. I have trouble balancing chemicals, while working and going away etc. will salt be any easier for me? My pool gets cloudy, sometimes a tiny or green, but rarely ever super crystal clear.

I’m not sure what is best for me. I moved in to a house with a pool and actually looked in to closing and filling it in but the permits it required in NY here and the cost was so much I decided to leave it open.

So i guess I’m asking what the cost should be to switch and will it be easier to maintain? My pool is 16 or 18x36.

I hope the cost estimate includes a saltwater chlorine generator! Did they give you a brand and model number? Its difficult for us to say if they cost is reasonable without knowing what they plan to install. If you have an estimate on paper take a photo of it and post it here.
For future reference, does your pool have a vinyl liner or does it have a plaster finish?

Easier to maintain? Absolutely!

I figure you have around 24,000 gallons. You need to get at least a 40K cell. We recommend the SWG capacity be 2X the pool volume.

Tell us what SWG and cell your pool store proposed.

Also, my pool is full sun all day. I have trouble balancing chemicals, while working and going away etc. will salt be any easier for me? My pool gets cloudy, sometimes a tiny or green, but rarely ever super crystal clear.

So i guess I’m asking what the cost should be to switch and will it be easier to maintain? My pool is 16 or 18x36.
Pricing varies widely across the country so it will difficult to tell how it compares. You should try to get another quote or two to compare them. Make sure you get exact model numbers and scope of work of what is included for the price. We can tell you what the hardware alone costs and then you can decide if it is reasonable.

A SWG will make it much easier to add chlorine to the pool and the chlorine will get added regardless of you being around or not. Keep in mind that a salt pool does not take away regular testing and balancing the water. You still need to keep track of pH and FC. A SWG is not a set it and forget it device. But you won't have to remember or worry if the chlorine is being added. You will still need to test for chlorine and adjust the SWG to make sure the FC levels stay on target.
A robot vacuum also helps alot to keep the pool floor clear and brushed.

I hope the cost estimate includes a saltwater chlorine generator! Did they give you a brand and model number? Its difficult for us to say if they cost is reasonable without knowing what they plan to install. If you have an estimate on paper take a photo of it and post it here.
For future reference, does your pool have a vinyl liner or does it have a plaster finish?
Vinyl. The quote was verbal so far.

Model numbers are very important. The last thing you want is to spend lots of hard earned money only to have a SWG that is undersized and can't keep up with chlorine demand. Yes, it has happened that people have put in a new SWG that was too small (rated for same as pool size), running the SWG full time and couldn't produce enough chlorine in a day.

Last edited:
Reactions: chaimowitza
We need the make and model and cost for equipment.

Does it include all parts and labor to install the cell and electrical?

Will the cell fit, or will they need to do a lot of replumbing?

Where will the power come from and how hard will it be to do the electrical?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.