How much SKILL-IT to use?

Jul 29, 2011
Las Vegas, Nevada
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
This isn't algae related, but it is algaecide related so I figured it's probably the best place to post the question. We live on the edge of the desert and have a nasty stinging insect problem. Lots of wasps and bees, but we also have tarantula hawks that like to stop by for a drink. I did some research and found that Biodex Skillit would help with the problem. The bottle says to use 24 Oz for a 50k gallon pool but doesn't mention anything about smaller pools. To me, that equals about 2.4 Oz to treat a 10k pool, but I wasn't sure if I should still treat with 24 Oz or what I should actually do single family awkward aasssss2.4 Oz doesn't seem like it would be enough to be effective for anything. I decided to call the company but only got an answering machine so I was wondering what you fine folks at TFP thinks of my math.
fb73bfa0e68f5bdbbbb4eb1fa0cab13e-1.jpg
def018e398e381c43faac5c21fea4ac6-1.jpg
5a8bd05e55edcd2e6ce4aed453e929cd-1.jpg

You don't want to add that to your pool. It's a cheap linear-quat algaecide that will break down from chlorine oxidation and cause foaming.

If you want to keep insects out of your pool, add borates to your pool water. I never have bees or wasps in my pool (nor have I EVER seen a single t-hawk near my pool and we have plenty of them). The borates are toxic to insects and so they die if they drink the water and don't get a chance to "report" back to their hive.

I have sensitive skin so I added borates to my last pool and it really messed up my skin for some reason. I had the same issue when I was making my own laundry detergent with borax previously. So now I won't add borates to my new pool and my skin has been amazing.

Wow thanks for correcting my math. I'm usually really good at math, but they recently legalized recreational pot here so sometimes I need extra help ;) I was using 10% instead of 20% since I was thinking 10k gallons. That's why it's good to double check.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I normally would feel the same way, but I can't enjoy my pool when it's filled with these insects, some of which can get very aggressive.
Hi did this work for your pool? I’m in Vegas and my brand new pool is un-swim-able about 20 wasps at a time diving in and lounging in the water, I’ve tried essential oils, etc… I don’t see any hive near my house but I think they must have a hive in one of the house around me, someone else recommended that algae stuff, but worried about it damaging my pool, it it works for killing wasps pleaseeeeeee let me know , thanks

Hi did this work for your pool? I’m in Vegas and my brand new pool is un-swim-able about 20 wasps at a time diving in and lounging in the water, I’ve tried essential oils, etc… I don’t see any hive near my house but I think they must have a hive in one of the house around me, someone else recommended that algae stuff, but worried about it damaging my pool, it it works for killing wasps pleaseeeeeee let me know , thanks
Yes it works great

It works for me! I have no more bee or wasps coming by for sips.. they get sucked in and drown pretty quick... and it kills my paddle bugs too! I end up with lots of bugs in my skimmer sock but I’m ok with that!!

Reactions: JoyfulNoise
It works for me! I have no more bee or wasps coming by for sips.. they get sucked in and drown pretty quick... and it kills my paddle bugs too! I end up with lots of bugs in my skimmer sock but I’m ok with that!!
So glad to hear this works for somebody. Used Skill It for algae and nasty wasp problems. I added 5.12 to my 10K gal pool on Tuesday. I am still seeing wasps land and drink then fly off. I don’t get why it’s not deterring them. Any suggestions? I recently shocked my pool so maybe too much chlorine so the Skill It can’t work?

So glad to hear this works for somebody. Used Skill It for algae and nasty wasp problems. I added 5.12 to my 10K gal pool on Tuesday. I am still seeing wasps land and drink then fly off. I don’t get why it’s not deterring them. Any suggestions? I recently shocked my pool so maybe too much chlorine so the Skill It can’t work?
I think the initial dose is higher than the upkeep dose right? It appears to help quite a bit but I know that BioGuard Back up 2 is also a great algicide and works great with Paddlebugs and other bugs as well because it messes with the surface tension too. Sorry I’m not much help. This is all new to me too. 😜

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.