How Much Salt Is Too Much???

TAG1

Jun 25, 2020
Northern Calif.
I made the tragic error of believing Leslie Pool Supply's measurement of my salt levels as I added salt for use with a newly installed SWG (Core55).

Based upon their 3 measurements as I added salt, I should have ended up at a level of 3500ppm. I then bought a salt water meter from Amazon to follow the level, but returned it because it showed a level of 5500, so I thought it was wildly inaccurate. However, I then read somewhere on TFP that pool store measurements are often wrong, so I bought a Taylor Sodium Chloride Test Kit, and was horrified to see that the meter tester I returned was more or less correct after all, showing on two different measurement attempts, levels of 5600 and 6000!!!

Thus, my question is, do I need to empty 20,000 gal from my pool to get to 3000ppm, or can I let the level naturally lower over the several years it will probably take to get down to 3500ppm? Am I risking damage to any pool component if I don't lower the level? I've look around on several threads, but haven't come across an answer to this question. I'd sure appreciate hearing from anyone with expertise about this issue.

Our pool is plaster; 39,000gal

Tag,

I would reduce the salt level.. But then I can start to taste it about about 3400, so I tend to keep my salt level on the lower side.

Not sure what the upper limit is for the SWCG you bought, but I suggest you find out..

Thanks,

Jim R.

I am glad you got the K-1766 Salt test to accurately test your water.

It looks like the Circupool Core series does not shutdown for high salt levels like some other SWGs do.

Salt levels above 4,500 start to be noticeably more corrosive than lower salt levels. It is hard to say when and how the high salt levels can begin damaging metals or concrete. I would not run high salt levels for years waiting for it to lower.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.