How much rust is too much?

May 18, 2017
Pitman, NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
I'm in the middle of preparing to replace the liner in my 14 year old 24'x54" Artesian pool. After removal I discovered some rust on the interior walls, as well as some underneath the sand cove at the bottom. The rust on the wall has revealed a few small holes after brushing it with a wire wheel. I decided I may be able to repair this by covering it with a sheet of galvanized flashing and riveting it in place. Then I found the rust under the cove. It does not extend into the bottom rail, but just above it. The bottom rail itself looks fine. In one section there's a few pinholes. Is the pool junk at this point? I was hoping to get another 5 years out of it with a cheap liner I bought.

Do you think this is still structurally sound if I patched/reinforced the large section in the middle of the wall with steel and then sealed behind the cove? Perhaps with POR-15 or Flex Seal?

IMG_0340.jpg IMG_0341.jpg IMG_0342.jpg IMG_0343.jpg IMG_0344.jpg

I've done this kin of rust restoration this past April. Although I had a lot of rust, mine was never to the point that I could see through the walls like I can in your 3rd picture. That looks really bad and I'm very hesitant to say, Yeah go head... you'll be fine. That's a very bad spot. I'd say your pool gave you a good run n put it to bed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.