How much patience required when SLAMing?

DjGill

May 30, 2020
New Hampshire
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Howdy all. I live in the Northeast, uncovered my pool to find the customary green swamp. I have shocked with 73% Cal-hypo, followed two days later by additional 2 gallon of liquid chlorine. Running pump 24/7.
Current readings are FC 12- PH 7.6- CYA 80.

This is the third day and I do not see noticeable change in pool. When I backwash (2-3 times a day) I would expect to see more greenish-brown discharge, but it does not appear significantly so. Using sand filter with newly replaced sand (last year). Most (not all) of the debris is out of the pool.

Am I just being impatient, or am I missing something?

You are not in a SLAM Process because if you were for a CYA of 80 FC/CYA Levels FC would be 31.. I have done a 2 day SLAM at FC 31 but it is not recommended because it takes lots of liquid chlorine to get there and stay there.. Yours will not be 2 days but maybe a week or 2 depending on how green the pool is...

Do you have a salt water generator? If not it is recommended to drain down to 30 CYA and start your SLAM from there...

Also during a SLAM or when your FC is over 10 only test FC and CC, your PH will be off.. :)

You are not currently following the SLAM Process. A CYA of 80 requires a SLAM level FC of 31 ppm. I suggest you drain at least 50% of your pool water and fill with fresh.

You have a sand filter. The slowest to clear a pool during a SLAM. Three days would be a miracle. Two weeks would be more likely.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.