How much chlorine should I add after a big party?

Jbrillo

Gold Supporter
Jun 11, 2018
League City, Texas
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Just had a big birthday party for my daughter. We had about 20+ teenagers in there for about 5-hours this evening. The water is still clear but there is a little grass at the bottom. First time we’ve ever had that many people in the pool for that long. I added gallon already but was wondering if I should add more. I plan on running my robot in the morning and and I’m gonna let the filter run over night. What do you guys do after this heavy a bather load?

It was clear last night as well as this morning. I don’t keep my pool at the minimum either. I usually keep my FC at 6 for my CYA of 70. I usually check my chemicals at 3pm for consistency. I’m sure it’ll be fine. Filter ran all night and I’m gonna let it run it’s normal schedule for today and my Tigershark is doing his thing. I just wanted to be cautious since I’m still new to the pool thing.

Reactions: afbatts
I had a bunch over few weeks back and even heated the water to 92. Water was cloudy after but i think more from stirring up dirt. They were pretty wild ?
I have a SWCG, and the morning of a party I run the pump a lot longer than normal to get the pool as pretty as possible. That ups the chlorine levels a bit, too. We had a party last night. We had 17 people in the pool, sunshelf and spa, and this AM chlorine is right in target range.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So I checked my FC and it was 1.5ppm and my CC was 2ppm. I immediately dumped in a gallon to raise it by 6ppm according to Pool Math. I’ll check it again before I go to bed.

If I'm not mistaken, you say your CYA is 70. At 70 CYA, your target is 10 and your minimum is 5. Adding to get to 6 only allows for 1ppm till you're at minimum. Can I ask how you maintain 6ppm without falling below 5ppm without a SWG? And further, why only 6?

Normal TFP method is to dose to target (for you that's 10) so that you never fall below minimum. Many of us do this at night so that gives the pool all night without sun at or near target so that the chlorine has many hours to do it's job without the sun burning it off.

I do have a SWG. I used liquid chlorine for a quick boost. According to the FC/CYA chart from pool school my minimum is 3 and target is 5. I keep it at 6 for safe keeping.
5EACDB48-555D-4056-A3D6-BFEB466D0A03.png

Somehow I must’ve made an error in my testing. When I tested my FC earlier and got my 1.5, I tested from the same spot I always test. An hour later, I retested and got a FC of 13.5!!! I thought, perhaps it hadn’t mixed well yet so I tested from the other end of the pool and once again I got 13.5. I’m not sure where I made an error but I think getting a FC of 13.5 twice and from opposite ends of the pool says I’m ok. How the heck did I get a 1.5......,I may never know. I do know that 1-gallon of liquid chlorine will not make my FC go up by 12. Since everything looks good, I’m calling it good. I’ll take the 13.5 over 1.5 hands down.

I think I need new specs... I find the grey text more difficult to read and I tend to speed read in the first place. Heck, I find all sorts of things difficult to see properly as time goes on. Yay for presbyopia?

At least you know you're tackling the teenager stuff at 12.5 ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.