How much chlorine is left in the world?

Hi Guys,
As I open our pool for the season (I have been delayed by issues with the mechanicals), I am trying to get the water back into balance. I am wondering how much chlorine is left in the world, because I am pretty sure that I am on the verge of using it all... I am adding 4 to 6 pounds of powder or gallons per day.

The was no CYA when I first opened the pool, and now I have CYA up to near 40. I am trying to achieve a SLAM, but my overnight chlorine loss is still almost total.

The water did go from pea soup green to a very light green, and I have brushed the sides and bottom a few times. I cannot quite see the bottom anywhere except the shallowest end. Is it probable that the high chlorine consumption is due to organic matter still lurking in the pool?

As usual, any help will be appreciated.

Hi Joe,
Thanks for the response ! I just took a water sample into Leslie's, and found that the CYA is (according to them) in range. Chlorine is at 7 (I will verify), so I am making progress. A bit more chlorine and a lot of brushing, and I hope to be in business.

I cannot vacuum to waste because I switched to a cartridge filter, but I will start to clean the filter more often, especially now that the other factors are getting closer.

Thanks,
David

Hi Pa, Do, DS,
Thanks for the replies! I am definitely going to use just liquid at this point, if the CYA is indeed in range (according to Leslie's). I use the Taylor (DFP? I am not near it right now) kit for all of my testing.

My hope is that between the brushing and continued addition of chlorine the water will continue to improve.

I was joking about the chlorine supply :) I am just going through a lot of it so far as this pool goes from pea soup to swimmable...

Thanks,
David

In range at my store was 50-150. And they told me to dump half my pool at 150. Got searching and found TFP and never looked back. Trust your own test. You need to know what the CYA is to be able to select your target FC.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi All,
According to Leslie’s, CYA was at 60 and FC was at 7. I am raising FC to around 16 with liquid or Hypo, and brushing to hasten the demise of the remaining algae.

CYA is the test that pool stores never get right. Do not trust the result.

Now, if the CYA of 60ppm could be trusted, why are you only at a FC of 16ppm if you have visible algae?

What is this ‘Hypo’ you are using. You should only be using liquid chlorine, aka bleach, at this point.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.